Is glass the only material you can break with sound?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 3D printer to create a material that can be broken or warped by sound waves under 110dBs. The biologist suggests using a brittle material, such as sulfur or ice, and mentions the use of liquid helium to freeze soft materials into a brittle state. The biologist wishes the person luck with their experiments.
TalkingBiology
Would it be possible to use a 3D printer to print plastic (PLA for example) that could be smashed or warped by sound under 110dBs?

I'm a biologist, trying to recreate what happens to hair cells in the inner ear when you damage them.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TB. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I think any sufficiently fragile resonant vessel could be made to break using sound, if made of a suitable brittle material, e.g., sulfur, salt crystals, egg shell, ice, whatever. Every material will warp or distort by sound waves when formed into such a shape, you just need it to be brittle and not highly absorbant of sound energy so that oscillations can build up until the material at some point overstresses and fractures, i.e., you need it high Q.

As to your printer question, I can't help. Though it may be feasible to use liquid helium to freeze some soft material and turn it into something brittle.

Good luck with your experiments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is glass the only material you can break with sound?

1. Can sound really break glass?

Yes, sound can break glass. It is a phenomenon known as resonance, where the frequency of the sound waves matches the natural frequency of the glass, causing it to vibrate and eventually shatter.

2. Is glass the only material that can be broken with sound?

No, glass is not the only material that can be broken with sound. Other materials such as crystal, ceramics, and even metal can also be broken with sound if the frequency of the sound waves matches their natural frequency.

3. What is the frequency needed to break glass with sound?

The frequency needed to break glass with sound is typically around 556 Hz, which is within the audible range for humans.

4. Can any type of sound break glass?

No, not all types of sound can break glass. The sound needs to have a specific frequency and intensity in order to cause resonance and shatter the glass.

5. Is it safe to try breaking glass with sound at home?

No, it is not safe to try breaking glass with sound at home. The process requires precise tuning of the sound waves, which can be dangerous if not done correctly. It is best left to professionals or done in a controlled and supervised environment.