Breaking the sound barrier underwater?

In summary, there are several theories about what would happen if a submarine were to break the sound barrier underwater. Some suggest that the Prandtl-Gluart singularity would not occur in water, while others argue that there would be a shock wave. It is also debated whether the submarine would become extremely hot from friction with the water or if the water would cool it down. Some propose using a cavitating system to achieve supersonic speeds underwater. Overall, it is a complex and difficult concept to test and understand.
MikeNZ
I know it may not even be mechanically possible to reach the speed of sound underwater (1,484 m/s); but this is just a theory.

After discussing with several people, what would happen if a submarine was to break the sound barrier underwater, a couple of interesting theories arose.

Going along the assumption that due to Air and Water both being Fluids, they then behave in similar ways...

When an aircraft breaks the sound barrier, and Prandtl–Glauert singularity occurs, would the same rule apply for underwater? Would the water that this submarine is traveling through, condense the water further? Would it become denser?

When diving into water from a great height with nothing to really pierce the water (i.e. For example belly flopping from a great height), it would be like hitting concrete because the water doesn’t have enough time to disperse. If this submarine were to go so fast, that the water doesn’t have time to disperse, would it be like this submarine trying to constantly penetrate a brick wall from a “standstill” (i.e. submarine and water wall traveling at same velocity). Does this link to the theory of water becoming denser from the condensation previously mentioned?

Or, (my favourite theory), would there be a big explosion underwater? A shockwave perhaps?

One last thing, due to the friction being so great on aircraft traveling faster than the speed of sound, and thus becoming extremely hot, would the submarine become extremely hot from the friction of water? Would the water cool down the submarine at the same time? Would the submarine become more brittle? (quenching; haha)

My mind is blown, your thoughts please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could probably only achieve this with some sort of cavitating system - so the submarine would be traveling in an air bubble rather than in direct contact with the water

MikeNZ said:
When an aircraft breaks the sound barrier, and Prandtl–Glauert singularity occurs, would the same rule apply for underwater? Would the water that this submarine is traveling through, condense the water further? Would it become denser?

The Prandtl-Gluart singularity would only hold in a compressible medium. Water, being incompressible, would not exhibit the same singularity. For similar reasons you wouldn't have a shockwave (at least not in the same sense that you do in air). The shock would have to be a discontinuity in temperature or something.

MikeNZ said:
When diving into water from a great height with nothing to really pierce the water (i.e. For example belly flopping from a great height), it would be like hitting concrete because the water doesn’t have enough time to disperse. If this submarine were to go so fast, that the water doesn’t have time to disperse, would it be like this submarine trying to constantly penetrate a brick wall from a “standstill” (i.e. submarine and water wall traveling at same velocity). Does this link to the theory of water becoming denser from the condensation previously mentioned?

This phenomenon is a result of surface tension on the water's surface. If you are underwater, the problem doesn't arise. That also explains why going into the water with a sharp point fixes the problem. If just a sharp tip hits the water, the surface tension is acting on a much smaller area (technically perimeter I suppose) and therefore is much much smaller.

MikeNZ said:
One last thing, due to the friction being so great on aircraft traveling faster than the speed of sound, and thus becoming extremely hot, would the submarine become extremely hot from the friction of water? Would the water cool down the submarine at the same time? Would the submarine become more brittle? (quenching; haha)

The water would cool the surface significantly better than air does, but the increased viscosity would give rise to more friction, so it would be hard to predict without doing some sort of supersonic analysis on water. The problem is, it would be very difficult to verify experimentally. Additionally, since I (and who knows if anyone does) don't know how or if a shock would manifest itself underwater, I am not sure how that heating would really work.

Just to clarify, most heating on supersonic vehicles is NOT due to friction directly. The main thing that happens is that as you get faster, the strength of the shock increases. Stronger shocks mean larger increases in stagnation temperature, so as the flow on the skin of the vehicle slows to zero, it heats up to a temperature known as the adiabatic wall temperature (slightly lower than stagnation temperature do to the isentropic process of a shock wave).

NobodySpecial said:
You could probably only achieve this with some sort of cavitating system - so the submarine would be traveling in an air bubble rather than in direct contact with the water

That is true in a practical sense, though it would then only be moving at supersonic speeds relative to the gaseous water through which it is traveling (not THAT much different than air), not the water itself. Work on this has actually already been done.

boneh3ad said:
The Prandtl-Gluart singularity would only hold in a compressible medium. Water, being incompressible, would not exhibit the same singularity. For similar reasons you wouldn't have a shockwave (at least not in the same sense that you do in air). The shock would have to be a discontinuity in temperature or something.

You'd definitely get a shock wave - water is not incompressible (if it were, the sound speed would be infinite). It is mostly incompressible, but at speeds approaching or exceeding the sound speed in water, you could no longer assume that it is incompressible for the purposes of flow analysis.

cjl said:
You'd definitely get a shock wave - water is not incompressible (if it were, the sound speed would be infinite). It is mostly incompressible, but at speeds approaching or exceeding the sound speed in water, you could no longer assume that it is incompressible for the purposes of flow analysis.

That is a fair statement. You will have to forgive me if I don't always think everything through when I say it this time of year with finals and all. I am "studying" right now after all, haha.

boneh3ad said:
That is a fair statement. You will have to forgive me if I don't always think everything through when I say it this time of year with finals and all. I am "studying" right now after all, haha.

Fair enough.

I've been thinking about fluids far too much recently - I had a graduate level fluid mechanics final yesterday :smile:

Yeah, I had a hypersonics final Friday and I have a boundary layer stability final on Wednesday, and I am really finding it hard to keep studying...

boneh3ad said:
Yeah, I had a hypersonics final Friday and I have a boundary layer stability final on Wednesday, and I am really finding it hard to keep studying...

Fun...

(Those do sound interesting though - I haven't taken any of those courses [I don't even think we have a boundary layer stability course here, though I could be wrong], but I'm signed up for molecular gas dynamics and high speed aerodynamics next semester)

cjl said:
I don't even think we have a boundary layer stability course here, though I could be wrong

I don't honestly know how many people are left alive that are qualified to teach it. Probably no more than about a dozen. It is kind of sad really. Maybe that means that there will be a nice opening for me... hehe.

Related to Breaking the sound barrier underwater?

1. How does breaking the sound barrier underwater work?

The sound barrier is the point at which an object reaches the speed of sound. In water, the speed of sound is about 1,500 meters per second, which is much faster than in air. When an object, such as a submarine or a torpedo, moves faster than this speed, it creates a shock wave in the water, which is known as breaking the sound barrier underwater.

2. What factors affect breaking the sound barrier underwater?

The main factors that affect breaking the sound barrier underwater are the speed of the object, the density of the water, and the shape of the object. The faster the object moves, the higher the pressure and the more likely it is to break the sound barrier. The density of the water also plays a role, as denser water requires more energy to break the sound barrier. The shape of the object can also affect the formation of shock waves and the ability to break the sound barrier.

3. What are the consequences of breaking the sound barrier underwater?

Breaking the sound barrier underwater can have various consequences, depending on the situation. In some cases, it can create a loud noise or a sonic boom, which can be harmful to marine life and disrupt underwater communication systems. It can also cause damage to the object itself, as the intense pressure and drag forces can put stress on the structure. Additionally, breaking the sound barrier can create a visible vapor cloud, which can reveal the location of the object and compromise its stealth capabilities.

4. What are some real-world applications of breaking the sound barrier underwater?

The ability to break the sound barrier underwater has several important applications. It is used in military technology, such as torpedoes and submarines, to increase speed and maneuverability. It is also used in underwater vehicles, such as underwater drones and remotely operated vehicles, to improve their efficiency and performance. Breaking the sound barrier underwater also has applications in underwater exploration and research, as it allows for faster and more precise data collection.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with breaking the sound barrier underwater?

There are potential safety concerns associated with breaking the sound barrier underwater, especially in military operations. The intense shock waves and noise created can be harmful to marine life, and can also cause damage to nearby structures or vessels. It is important for proper safety measures to be implemented to minimize the impact on the environment and ensure the safety of personnel operating in the area. Additionally, the intense pressure and forces involved in breaking the sound barrier can also put stress on the object and potentially cause damage or malfunctions.