Is Function f Continuous Only at Zero?

Therefore, c= 0. In summary, we showed that f is continuous at c if and only if c= 0, using the theorem provided and considering two cases: c is rational and c is irrational.
miren324
Here's the problem:
Let f(x)={x, x in Q; 0, x in R\Q.
Show f is continuous at c if and only if c = 0.
Hint: You may want to use the following theorem: Let A and B be two disjoint subsets of R and f1:A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R and f2:B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R. Define f:A[tex]\cup[/tex]B[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R by
f(x)={f1(x), x in A; f2(x), x in B​
Let c be an accumulation point of both A and B and L in R. Show c is an accumulation point of A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and L = limx[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]cf(x) if and only if L = limx[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]cf1(x) = limx[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]cf2(x).

Here's what I tried. Let f(x)=x for x in Q be f1 and f(x)=0 for x in R\Q be f2. Then by definition of continuous functions I have for all epsilon>0 there exists delta>0 such that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon when x is in Q[tex]\cup[/tex]R\Q and |x-c|<delta.

This leads to two possibilities: x is in Q or x is in R\Q, so we have |f(x)-f(c)|=|x-f(c)|<epsilon and |f(x)-f(c)|=|0-f(c)|<epsilon.

The problem is, what if c is not 0, but rather is x in Q? Then |x-f(c)|=|x-x|<epsilon which is true. Then I have f is continuous at c with c being nonzero. However, I know that I am supposed to PROVE this, not DISPROVE it. Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "what if c is not 0, but rather is x in Q". c is a fixed number, a constant. x is a variable.

c is rational or it is irrational.

1) If c is rational, then f(c)= c. If c is not 0, take [itex]\epsilon= |c|/2> 0[/itex]. For any [itex]\delta> 0[/itex], there exist an irrational x such that [itex]|x- c|< \delta[/itex]. Since x is irrational, [itex]f(x)= 0[/itex]. Then [itex]|f(x)- f(0)|= |0- c|= |c|> |c|/2= \epsilon[/itex].

2) If c is irrational, then f(c)= 0. If c is not 0, take [itex]\epsilon= |c|/2> 0[/itex]. For any [itex]\delta> 0[/itex], there exis a rational x such that [itex]|x- c|< \delta[/itex]. Since x is rational, [itex]f(x)= c[/itex]. Then [itex]|f(x)- f(0)= |c- 0|= c> |c|/2= \epsilon[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Function f Continuous Only at Zero?

1. What is a continuous function at c?

A continuous function at c is a function where the limit of the function at c exists and is equal to the value of the function at c. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function at c.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at c?

To determine if a function is continuous at c, you need to check three conditions: 1) the function is defined at c, 2) the limit of the function at c exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at c. If all three conditions are met, then the function is continuous at c.

3. What is the importance of continuous functions at c?

Continuous functions at c are important because they allow us to make predictions and approximations about the behavior of a function at a specific point. They also have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a function be continuous at some points and not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not at others. A function may be continuous at all points except one or a few points, where there may be a sudden jump or break. These points are known as discontinuities.

5. How do you prove that a function is continuous at c?

To prove that a function is continuous at c, you need to show that all three conditions for continuity are met: 1) the function is defined at c, 2) the limit of the function at c exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at c. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the epsilon-delta definition of limit.