Is freshmen-level "all-physics" text worth buying/having as an advanced student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of having a copy of a calculus book, such as Stewart or Thomas-Finney, for solving engineering or physics problems. It is questioned whether the same can be said for freshman level physics texts, such as Halliday-Resnick or Young-Freedman. It is also suggested that a non-calculus physics text, like HR or YF, can be helpful for understanding problems from a different perspective. The question of whether HR or YF can act as a comprehensive reference for pre-sophomore level physics is also raised. The person sharing their experience mentions that they still refer to their copy of Halliday & Resnick from time to time, even though they took the course in 1962
Fi Zixer
A senior engineering student would like to have a copy of calculus (like Stewart or Thomas-Finney) handy to look up from time to time while solving an engineering or physics problem.

My question is, can the same be said about a freshman level physics text, like Halliday-Resnick or Young-Freedman? Do advanced physics students need look up something from their copy of freshman text, even if they have other specialized upper division texts like Griffiths, Taylor, etc?

Another related question: Is having a non-calculus physics text (again like HR or YF) good when you can do calculus based physics? You may not need it but it's good to look at same problem from a calculus and a non-calculus POV (so it could help you water-down your own problem to non-calculus level, if you're explaining something to another beginner student)?

Another related question: In math you have (and sometimes need) "all of pre-college math in one book" in the form of Lang Basic Mathematics or Simmons Precalculus in a Nutshell. That combined with Stewart Calculus can act as "all of pre-sophomore math". Can HR or YF act as such a "all of pre-sophomore physics" reference? (although I've heard they're overexplained for an advanced student so I'd prefer a comprehensive text that is somewhat terse as well; less talk, more problems; because for talk you can always read the Feynman lectures)

I have tried to explain myself as much as possible; hopefully I can get some advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I still refer to my copy of Halliday & Resnick from time to time, even though I took the course in 1962. It was a good, clear, well illustrated text, and I can usually find what I want quickly, provided it is covered at all.

I have found my old math books to be largely worthless, with the exception of Kaplan's Advanced Calc and Lass for Vector & Tensor Analysis. I have other more specialized references that are more useful for most math topics.

1. Is a freshmen-level "all-physics" text useful for advanced students?

It depends on the individual's level of understanding and the specific text in question. Some all-physics texts may cover foundational concepts that are necessary for advanced physics, while others may be too simplistic for advanced students.

2. Can an advanced student benefit from reviewing basic physics concepts?

Yes, reviewing basic concepts can help solidify understanding and build a strong foundation for more advanced topics. It can also help fill in any gaps in knowledge that may have been missed in earlier studies.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using a freshmen-level "all-physics" text as an advanced student?

One potential drawback is that the text may not cover advanced topics or may not provide enough depth for an advanced student. It's important to evaluate the content of the text before purchasing to ensure it aligns with the individual's needs and goals.

4. Can an advanced student use a freshmen-level "all-physics" text as a supplement to their current materials?

Yes, using an all-physics text as a supplement can provide additional practice and reinforcement of concepts. It can also offer a different perspective or approach to topics that may be helpful for understanding.

5. How can I determine if a freshmen-level "all-physics" text is worth buying as an advanced student?

To determine if a text is worth buying, it's important to research the content and reviews of the text. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or mentor for their recommendation. Additionally, previewing the text or using a sample chapter can give an idea of the level and depth of the material.