Is \(\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}\) Always True in Mathematics?

In summary: But what about the step where I divide by ##d^{-1}##?\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}. Now, what I want to do is \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}. But I am having
embphysics

Homework Statement

The statement that is purported to be true is [itex]\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I am going along with my proof, and I believe it to be going nicely. However, there is one step that I am unsure of:

[itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}[/itex]. Now, what I want to do is [itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}[/itex]. But I am having trouble justifying the step [itex]\frac{1}{d^{-1}} =
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{d}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi embphysics! :smile:

i'm not sure what formulas you're allowed to use :confused:

anyway, why not just multiply the RHS, ad/bc, by the bottom of the LHS, c/d ? :wink:

Well, the formulas and properties I am permitted to use are given in the first chapter of Spivak's Calculus. So, tiny-tim, I am not certain that that manipulation is defined.

embphysics said:

Homework Statement

The statement that is purported to be true is [itex]\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I am going along with my proof, and I believe it to be going nicely. However, there is one step that I am unsure of:

[itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}[/itex]. Now, what I want to do is [itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}[/itex]. But I am having trouble justifying the step [itex]\frac{1}{d^{-1}} =
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{d}}[/itex]

Why not just use the definition? ##A/B## is that number ##X## which, when multiplied by ##B##, gives you ##A##; that is, it is the solution of the equation ##BX = A##.

Related to Is \(\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}\) Always True in Mathematics?

What is meant by "proving a property of numbers"?

Proving a property of numbers involves using mathematical principles and logic to demonstrate that a certain statement or rule holds true for all numbers, or for a specific set of numbers.

Why is it important to prove properties of numbers?

Proving properties of numbers allows us to have a deeper understanding of how numbers work and how they relate to each other. It also helps to establish the validity of mathematical concepts and theories.

What are some common techniques used to prove properties of numbers?

Some common techniques include mathematical induction, proof by contradiction, proof by contrapositive, and direct proof using axioms and theorems.

Can any property of numbers be proven?

No, not all properties of numbers can be proven. There are some statements and conjectures that have not yet been proven and may never be proven. This is why mathematics is an ongoing field of study.

How can proving properties of numbers be useful in real-world applications?

Proving properties of numbers can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It allows us to make accurate predictions, solve complex problems, and design efficient systems.