Is Flirting a Conscious or Natural Behavior?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: Maybe you are aware of the fact that you are flirting, but you are not consciously aware of the fact that you are interested in them.

Flirting is usually done unconsciously?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
tgt
This is not a relationship advice topic but a question of science although I am not trained in biology so have not posted in the science sections.

I have a feeling that when one is flirting, usually, it's a natural thing rather then a conscious act. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it only becomes natural once you're good at it... you'd be nervously thinking about it all the time if you were inexperienced.

But then again I'm a nerd.

I think it is a learned behavior, while the learning curves differ greatly between people, to the point where one person could said to be doing it naturally, where for another it might be quite unnatural.

I know plenty of people that flirt with everything that moves, and don't even realize it.

The key to good flirting is sincerity...

... if you can fake that, you've got it made!

If you're interested in a person and are striking conversation with them, that is flirting. If you're not conscious of being interested in a person, then you're not really interested in them. Therefore I think flirting is by definition a conscious act.

Flirting is natural. Here is Ferdinand, taking time out during a heated battle, to flirt with a woman, any woman.
http://failblog.org/2009/07/21/bullfighter-fail"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive flirted accidentally before. I don't even know I am doing it until someone says something to me. I've done it in front of my boyfriend accidentally. Luckily he's a pretty forgiving guy, but I seem to just slip into that mode unconsciously if someone begins to flirt with me.

sermatt said:
I think it only becomes natural once you're good at it... you'd be nervously thinking about it all the time if you were inexperienced.

But then again I'm a nerd.

I thought it would be the opposite. If you are really nervous then you tend not to be in control of your consious self.

junglebeast said:
If you're interested in a person and are striking conversation with them, that is flirting. If you're not conscious of being interested in a person, then you're not really interested in them. Therefore I think flirting is by definition a conscious act.

On the contrary, many shy people will purposely aviod someone they like. Although it could be a defense mechanism they've built to avoid acting like a fool.

fileen said:
Ive flirted accidentally before. I don't even know I am doing it until someone says something to me. I've done it in front of my boyfriend accidentally. Luckily he's a pretty forgiving guy, but I seem to just slip into that mode unconsciously if someone begins to flirt with me.

What's wrong with flirting in front of your bf?

tgt said:
What's wrong with flirting in front of your bf?

I guess I just feel its not very considerate. He never said anything to me, but a good friend who was there later told me that he was shocked and seemed anxious about it. I am a pretty independent kind of girl, I am the type to do exactly what you tell me not to just because I can. My BF knows better than to try to tell me not to behave in a certain way, so I can imagine him trying to decide how best to deal with the situation. Hes never mentioned it to me, however knowing it hurts his feelings makes me want to avoid that situation in the future. I call him my boyfriend but we have been together for 4 years and have known each other as long as I can remember. Were pretty much a sure thing and both consider the relationship to be a forever one. I would be uncomfortable watching him flirt with other girls, I can't expect him to take it any easier than I would.

tgt said:
On the contrary, many shy people will purposely aviod someone they like. Although it could be a defense mechanism they've built to avoid acting like a fool.

How is that contrary to what I said?

junglebeast said:
How is that contrary to what I said?

Maybe I have mistaken what you said with my 'on the contrary statement'. However, i don't agree with your conclusion that flirting is by definition a conscious act. You could be conscious of the fact that you like someone but that is entirely in your own head. How you act in front of them can be an entirely a different thing. Flirting is all about how you act in front of the person.

Related to Is Flirting a Conscious or Natural Behavior?

1. What is the purpose of flirting?

The purpose of flirting is to show romantic or sexual interest in someone and to initiate a potential relationship or connection.

2. Is flirting always intentional?

No, flirting can be done subconsciously or unintentionally, as it is a natural human behavior.

3. Can anyone learn how to flirt?

Yes, anyone can learn how to flirt, but some individuals may have a natural talent for it. Flirting is a skill that can be practiced and improved upon.

4. Are there different types of flirting?

Yes, there are different types of flirting, such as playful, sincere, physical, and polite. Each type may be used in different situations or with different individuals.

5. Can flirting be harmful?

Flirting can be harmful if it is not done respectfully or if one person is not interested in the other's advances. It is important to read and respect the other person's boundaries and cues.