Is F(x, y, z) a Conservative Vector Field?

In summary, The conversation is discussing the process of determining if a given vector field is conservative. One method mentioned is checking if the partial derivatives of the components of the field are equal. Another method is taking the curl and verifying that all three components are equal to zero. It is important to check all three components to determine if a field is conservative.
duki

Homework Statement

Determine if the following is conservative.
[tex]F(x, y, z) = (4xy + z^2)i + (2x^2 + 6yz)j + (2xz)k[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure I'm doing this correctly. I've taken the partial of M with respect to y and got 4x. I then took the partial of N with respect to x and got 4x. My question is how do I check P (2xz) ? Does it matter if I take the partial with respect to x or y, or will both work for the test?

Physics news on Phys.org
What test exactly are you doing? To show that F is conservative, you just have to show that ∇ x F = 0.

I'm doing the test that says something like... if all of the partials are equal then it is conservative. Is there an easier way?

No there's no test like that. The definition of conservative vector field is this: F is conservative is there is a scalar field φ such that F = ∇φ. This is equivalent to showing that ∇ x F = 0 (unless we're working on regions that are not simply connected, but let's not worry about that now).

duki said:
I'm doing the test that says something like... if all of the partials are equal then it is conservative. Is there an easier way?
That is sort of like taking the curl:
[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{F} =
\left(\frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z}\right)\hat{x}
+\left(\frac{\partial F_x}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x}\right)\hat{y}
+\left(\frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial y}\right)\hat{z}[/tex]
In your first post, you basically described computing the first of the three components and verifying that it's zero (because each of the two derivatives is 4x, so they're equal). You can just do the same thing for the other two components of the curl.

diazona said:
That is sort of like taking the curl:
[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{F} =
\left(\frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z}\right)\hat{x}
+\left(\frac{\partial F_x}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x}\right)\hat{y}
+\left(\frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial y}\right)\hat{z}[/tex]
In your first post, you basically described computing the first of the three components and verifying that it's zero (because each of the two derivatives is 4x, so they're equal). You can just do the same thing for the other two components of the curl.

Ok, this is what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure about the tests though. Can I stop as soon as one of them doesn't match? Also, does it matter if I take P with respect to x or P with respect to y?

The test I've been doing is if My = Nx, Mz = Px, Nz = Py then the field is conservative and I can continue to find the potential function.

To show that F is conservative, you have to check all three components of the curl, i.e. you have to show that

yP = ∂zN

zM = ∂xP

xN = ∂yM

(I'm assuming you're using the notation M = Fx, N = Fy, P = Fz)

Of course, if one of them doesn't match, that's enough to show it's not conservative.

ahhh i c. Thanks

Related to Is F(x, y, z) a Conservative Vector Field?

1. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field in which the line integral of the vector field along any closed path is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the vector field on a particle moving along a closed path is zero, regardless of the path taken. This is often described as the vector field having a "curl" of zero.

2. What are the properties of a conservative vector field?

One property of a conservative vector field is that it is irrotational, meaning the curl of the vector field is zero. Another property is that the line integral of the vector field along any closed path is equal to zero. This also means that the work done by the vector field is path independent, meaning it only depends on the initial and final positions and not the path taken.

3. How can you determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field can be determined to be conservative if its curl is equal to zero, or if the vector field can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function. This is known as the gradient theorem and is a common method for determining if a vector field is conservative.

4. What are some real-world applications of conservative vector fields?

Conservative vector fields have many applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used to model the flow of fluids, the motion of particles in electromagnetic fields, and the motion of celestial bodies in gravitational fields. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics.

5. What is the significance of conservative vector fields in physics?

In physics, conservative vector fields are significant because they represent a type of field in which energy is conserved. This means that the work done by the field on a particle is equal to the change in the particle's potential energy. This principle is used in many fundamental theories and equations in physics, including Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy.