Is f(x,y) continuous at (0,0)?

In summary, the function f(x,y) = (xy^2 ln(x^2 + y^2))/(x^2 + y^2) is continuous at (0,0) and polar coordinates can be used to prove it.
Jonmundsson

Homework Statement

We define the function [itex]f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R} [/itex] as

[itex]
\begin{equation}
f(x,y) = \frac{xy^2 ln(x^2 + y^2)}{x^2 + y^2}
\end{equation}
[/itex] if [itex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/itex]. Also note that [itex]f(0,0) = 0[/itex].

Show that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex](0,0)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Polar coords don't work and I don't see a good way to utilize the squeeze theorem which leaves me with delta epsilon. I'm terrible with delta epsilon proofs so I'm wondering if someone can get me started and I'll take it from there.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonmundsson said:

Homework Statement

[itex]
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
[/itex] if [itex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/itex]. Also note that [itex]f(0,0) = 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

Polar coords don't work and I don't see a good way to utilize the squeeze theorem which leaves me with delta epsilon. I'm terrible with delta epsilon proofs so I'm wondering if someone can get me started and I'll take it from there.

Thanks.

What is the problem with polar coord's?

I get [itex]ln(r^2)[/itex] which is undefined as [itex]r \to 0[/itex]

Jonmundsson said:

Homework Statement

[itex]
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

Thanks.

I think polar coordinates will work. Why do you think they don't?

I figured it out. I feel pretty dumb now.

It's just like [itex] \displaystyle \lim _{x \to 0} x sin(1/x) = 0[/itex] but [itex]\displaystyle \lim _{x \to 0} sin(1/x)[/itex] is undefined.

Thanks for the help.

Jonmundsson said:

It's just like [itex] \displaystyle \lim _{x \to 0} x sin(1/x) = 0[/itex] but [itex]\displaystyle \lim _{x \to 0} sin(1/x)[/itex] is undefined.

Thanks for the help.
Yes.

I assume you got
r ln(r2) sin2(θ) cos(θ) .​
Then took the limit of that as r → 0 .

Jonmundsson said:

Thanks for the help.

I think it's more like a l'Hopital's rule proof. But glad you got it.

Related to Is f(x,y) continuous at (0,0)?

What is a multivariate limit?

A multivariate limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point in a multi-dimensional space. It is similar to a regular limit, but takes into account multiple variables.

Why is it important to understand multivariate limits?

Multivariate limits are crucial in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and optimization. They help us understand the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions and are essential for solving complex problems.

How do you calculate a multivariate limit?

To calculate a multivariate limit, you must first determine the behavior of the function as each variable approaches the point in question. Then, you can use various methods, such as substitution, to simplify the expression and find the limit.

What is the difference between a multivariate limit and a regular limit?

The main difference between a multivariate limit and a regular limit is the number of variables involved. A regular limit only considers one variable approaching a point, while a multivariate limit takes into account multiple variables simultaneously.

What are some real-world applications of multivariate limits?

Multivariate limits have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of a system with multiple variables, determine the optimal solution to a problem, or analyze the risk of a financial investment.