Collecting air samples to test for primary pollutants.

• Thread starter Binary Star
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Test
In summary, the conversation is about a student's lab on local air quality. They are unsure of how to collect appropriate air samples and what type of container to use. They mention the need for a transparent container to shoot an infrared beam through. The other person suggests considering the sensitivity of the IR and recommends avoiding using ziplock bags. The student has plenty of time to figure out a way to collect and store air samples for testing.
Binary Star
I'm doing a lab (Extended Essay, if you're familiar with the IB program) on the local air quality. I basically would need to collect some air samples to test, but I'm not sure how I would go about collecting appropriate samples of air. I'm also not sure in what sort of container I could place them in.

The container has to be transparent since I will be shooting an infrared beam through the air sample.

So, how could I go about collecting air samples, and what kind of containers do you suggest I get/make? I've got the rest of the lab set-up, but I'm stumped on how I would collect air samples. I guess I could just use ziplock bags and fill them with the 'air' in different areas of the city, but I'm not sure if that'd work. ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing what time constraints you face, I'll offer a suggestion that you look at the sensitivity of your IR before committing yourself too heavily --- can you distinguish between air you breathe and a ziploc filled from an auto/truck/bus tailpipe?

I have plenty of time ^_^.

I just need to figure out a good way to collect air samples, and a good way to store them so I can test them. I have two ways that I've thought of, and both require a way to store air samples.

Related to Collecting air samples to test for primary pollutants.

1. What are primary pollutants?

Primary pollutants are harmful substances that are directly emitted into the atmosphere from sources such as factories, vehicles, and natural sources. These pollutants include carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter.

2. Why is it important to collect air samples for primary pollutants?

Collecting air samples allows scientists to measure the levels of primary pollutants in the air and assess their potential impact on human health and the environment. This information can also be used to develop strategies to reduce and prevent pollution.

3. How are air samples collected for testing?

Air samples can be collected using various methods such as passive samplers, active samplers, and remote sensing techniques. These methods involve placing devices in the air to collect samples, using instruments to directly measure pollutants, or using satellite data to remotely monitor air quality.

4. What are some challenges in collecting air samples for primary pollutants?

One of the main challenges in air sample collection is ensuring that the samples are representative of the overall air quality in a specific area. Factors such as wind patterns and the location of sampling sites can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, some pollutants may be present in very small concentrations, making them difficult to detect.

5. How are air samples tested for primary pollutants?

The collected air samples are typically analyzed in a laboratory using specialized equipment. This may involve techniques such as chromatography, mass spectrometry, or spectroscopy to identify and quantify the pollutants present in the sample. The results are then compared to established air quality standards to determine if the levels of primary pollutants are within acceptable limits.