Is F a Complete Ordered Field?

• Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that an ordered field with the monotone sequence property is complete. Two possible approaches are suggested, with the second approach being the easier one of starting with a monotone sequence and deleting terms to obtain a strictly monotone subsequence. The conversation also touches upon the use of the Cauchy sequence property to prove the completeness of the field.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

Let F be an ordered field in which every strictly monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges. Prove that F is complete

Homework Equations

Definitions:

Monotone Sequence property:
Let F be an ordered field. We say that F has the monotone sequence property if every monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges.

Completeness Property:
An ordered field is said to be complete if it obeys the monotone sequence property

The Attempt at a Solution

Approach 1
I'm not sure what exactly to prove. The question says that "strictly monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges" which is pretty much the monotone sequence property. And by the completeness property, F is complete . So what exactly am I supposed to do ? It seems trivial.

Approach 2
I could also get any strictly increasing sequence and extract an increasing subsequence which is bounded above and thus converges by monotone sequence property

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 'strictly monotone' sequences are a subset of the 'monotone' sequences. I think you have to take a monotone sequence and show it converges because it either contains a strictly monotone subsequence, or it's eventually constant.

Dick said:
The 'strictly monotone' sequences are a subset of the 'monotone' sequences. I think you have to take a monotone sequence and show it converges because it either contains a strictly monotone subsequence, or it's eventually constant.

I see what you are trying to say but the problem with this approach is that I cannot readily find a way of doing this.

Can I perhaps repeat some terms in the strictly monotone sequence to obtain a "regular" monotone sequence.

Eg
Let [tex]< a_{n}>[/tex] be a strictly monotone sequence then we define
[tex]<a*_{n}>[/tex]
where [tex] <a*_{n}> = <a_{0},a_{0},a_{1},a_{1}...>[/tex]
where [tex] a_{0}, ... ,a_{n}[/tex] are terms of the strictly monotone sequence [tex] <a_{n}>[/tex].
[tex] <a*_{n}>[/tex] is a "regular" monotone sequence and is increase and bounded above thus, it converges.

Does this work ?
PS I took a look at the back of the book I'm using and it says
"From a( nontrivial) monotone sequence [tex] <x_{n}>[/tex], extract a subsequence that is strictly monotone ". WHAT ? . I understand the writers hint.

I see what you are trying to do but it's easier if you follow the books hint. Start with a monotone sequence and delete terms to get a strictly monotone sequence. Then show since the strictly monotone sequence converges, so does the original.

Dick said:
I see what you are trying to do but it's easier if you follow the books hint. Start with a monotone sequence and delete terms to get a strictly monotone sequence. Then show since the strictly monotone sequence converges, so does the original.

That seems good but considering that the chapter on cauchy sequences is further along I don't know any theorem to support my claim. I would have to show that the convergence, of a subsequence of a monotone increasing sequence, is enough to establish convergence of the sequence itself. I'm I over complicating things ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
That seems good but considering that the chapter on cauchy sequences is further along I don't know any theorem to support my claim. I would have to show that the convergence, of a subsequence of a monotone increasing sequence, is enough to establish convergence of the sequence itself. I'm I over complicating things ?

Overcomplicating. Just think epsilons and deltas. Use the definition of limit. You hardly need a theorem here. The terms you deleted are between the terms in the strictly monotone sequence.

Dick said:
Overcomplicating. Just think epsilons and deltas. Use the definition of limit. You hardly need a theorem here. The terms you deleted are between the terms in the strictly monotone sequence.

Perfect, I see it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

This can also seen to hold true as every Cauchy sequence is bounded & has a monotonic subsequence .

Related to Is F a Complete Ordered Field?

What does it mean for a function to be "complete"?

A function is considered complete if it is able to express and represent any possible mathematical relationship or function. In other words, it can be used to solve any mathematical problem or equation.

How can I prove that a function F is complete?

To prove that a function F is complete, you must show that it is able to represent any mathematical relationship or function. This can be done through various methods, such as using mathematical theorems or providing examples of how the function can be used to solve different types of equations.

What are some examples of complete functions?

Some examples of complete functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These functions have the ability to represent a wide range of mathematical relationships and can be used to solve various types of problems.

Why is it important for a function to be complete?

Having a complete function is important because it allows for a more efficient and accurate way of solving mathematical problems. With a complete function, there is no need to use multiple functions to solve different types of equations, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

How does the completeness of a function relate to its usefulness in mathematical applications?

The completeness of a function directly relates to its usefulness in mathematical applications because a complete function is able to represent and solve a wide variety of mathematical problems. This makes it a valuable tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.