Is Eye Movement a Reliable Indicator of Deception?

• Thread starter antman123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who caught their partner cheating and is now questioning their honesty. They met face to face and the person tried to determine if their partner was lying by looking at their eye movements. However, the validity of this method is questioned and it is suggested that actions speak louder than words. It is also mentioned that there is no sure way to know if someone is lying, and ultimately, the fact that the partner cheated is what matters.
antman123
Hello.. I recently caught my partner red handed cheating on me. We have been together for a long time and things were very messy for a while. A month later she realized what she had done was stupid etc... And she wanted to get back together. Obviously my first question after the break up was how many others were there. She answered 3 and has kept to that for the last month. We met for the first time the other week so I could ask her the questions face to face. When I asked her "how many others" to her face, I was consciously looking out for signs. I focused only on the eyes. I noticed after she had swore there were only 3, her eyes moved towards the upper right as she thought, then confirmed and assured me there were only 3. There were a couple of blinks in their too, but i don't think this meant anything. Does looking in the upper right mean anything? Was she accessing her long-term memory to think about it? or was she making up a lie? Shes had a month to make up her stories, which is why I am hoping this will give some indication. How valid is all this looking into the eyes thing? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have kids together? Honestly, if I were in that situation I won't bother reading her eye movements. Actions speaks louder than words.
I'd say goodbye, aloha and sayonara too!

yea i agree. making up stories about what you did and telling the truth in this situation means nothing. still the same thing. she cheated. does it really matter how many?

Did her intonation suggest it was an answer or a question? I'm probably too proud, but one would be enough to convince me I deserve a better 'relationship'. A shallow, meaningless relationship has its advantages, so long as you don't get attached to it. The reason does not matter, the action does. Why would you want to live with someone who has betrayed you? It's probably your fault. Maybe you didn't treat her 'right'. Maybe you were insensitive to her 'needs'. Maybe you're not man enough to 'satisfy' her... or maybe she doesn't care about anyone but herself. Look for the obvious explanation. It's usually correct.

antman123 said:
When I asked her "how many others" to her face, I was consciously looking out for signs. I focused only on the eyes. I noticed after she had swore there were only 3, her eyes moved towards the upper right as she thought, then confirmed and assured me there were only 3. There were a couple of blinks in their too, but i don't think this meant anything. Does looking in the upper right mean anything? Was she accessing her long-term memory to think about it? or was she making up a lie? Shes had a month to make up her stories, which is why I am hoping this will give some indication. How valid is all this looking into the eyes thing? Thanks

Oh brother. That 'eye accessing cues' stuff is total BS when it comes to lie detection, and of very limited use in any other area. If you can dig out one vaguely scientific report on its successful use I'd love to see it. In any case, lie detection is no way to run a relationship or any sort of friendship. If she cheated on you 3 times, unless you are a masochist or in an open relationship keep her out of your life and try not to obsess about the exact number.

lieing eyes yes
Sounds like they need a bit more testing.

I could always tell when my children were lieing, because I knew them so well. Each one was different though. One avoided my glance while being very quiet, the other looked dead into my eyes while putting his hands behind his back. Shhh don't tell them I know

Last edited:
I learned in psych class that one side is accessing memory and one is imagination, but I forgot which is which (lol). I agree that its not very reliable though. One could imagine the lie ahead of time and then remember it. One can only imagine the same thing once, no? The next time would be remembering.

I agree with the others: There is no SURE way to know if it was a lie, but it shouldn't matter in this case. A cheater is a cheater. She doesn't deserve your trust.

Related to Is Eye Movement a Reliable Indicator of Deception?

1. Is eye movement a reliable indicator of deception?

There is no definitive answer to this question. While some studies have suggested that certain eye movements, such as avoiding direct eye contact or blinking more frequently, may be associated with deception, there is no consistent evidence to support this claim. Additionally, eye movement can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as cultural norms and individual differences, making it difficult to determine its reliability as an indicator of deception.

2. Can eye movement analysis be used as a standalone method for detecting deception?

No, eye movement analysis should not be used as the sole method for detecting deception. It should be used in conjunction with other methods, such as verbal and nonverbal cues, to increase the accuracy of deception detection. Eye movement analysis should also be interpreted in context and not relied upon as the sole indicator of deception.

3. How accurate is eye movement analysis in detecting deception?

The accuracy of eye movement analysis in detecting deception varies depending on the study and the specific eye movements being analyzed. Some studies have reported high accuracy rates, while others have found no significant correlation between eye movement and deception. Overall, eye movement analysis should not be considered a highly accurate method for detecting deception.

4. Can deception be detected through eye movement in all individuals?

No, not all individuals exhibit the same patterns of eye movement when they are being deceptive. Some people may naturally avoid eye contact, while others may not exhibit any noticeable changes in eye movement when lying. Additionally, cultural norms and individual differences can also affect eye movement, making it difficult to generalize its use as a deception detection method in all individuals.

5. Can training improve the accuracy of eye movement analysis for detecting deception?

While some research has shown that training can improve the accuracy of eye movement analysis for detecting deception, the results are not consistent. Additionally, training may only improve the accuracy of eye movement analysis for specific types of deception and may not be applicable to all individuals. More research is needed in this area to determine the effectiveness of training in improving the reliability of eye movement as an indicator of deception.