Is Every Metric Space Regular?

In summary: Since every metric space is normal (i.e. it's T1 and T4), it's regular, too (since, for every two disjoint closed sets one can find disjoint neighborhoods of these sets, and a singleton is closed in a metric space). Of course, this proof assumes that normality is proven :)In summary, the student is trying to prove that every metric space is regular by showing that it satisfies the T1 and T3-axioms. They then show that for every two points in a space, there exists a disjoint neighborhood which doesn't contain either point.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

To prove that every metric space is regular. :)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, a regular space satisfies the T1 and T3-axioms.

For T1: Let a, b be two distinct points of a metric space (X, d). Then d(a, b) > 0, and let r = d(a, b)/2. Then the open ball K(a, r) is a neighborhood of a which doesn't contain b, and K(b, r) is a neighborhood of b which doesn't contain a.

For T3: Let A be a closed subset of X, and let b be in X\A. Since we proved that T1 holds, for every x in A and for b there exists a neighborhood of Ux which doesn't contain b. A is a subset of the union U of these neighborhoods (U is a neighborhood of A). Now, define r = min{d(x, b)/2: x is in A}. Then K(b, r) and U are disjoint.

I hope this works.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably should justify why r in your second argument is non-zero.

Also, your U is picked too generally. Knowing that singletons are closed, we could have picked U to be everything except for b, which obviously wouldn't work. You need to pick the balls surrounding the points in A more carefully

Last edited:
OK, here are three other attempts.

i) T3: Let r = d(A, b) = inf{d(a, b) : a is in A}, where b is in X\A. Since A is closed, Cl(A) = A, and d(A, b) = 0 if and only if b is in the closure of A (i.e. in A), which contradicts our assumption, so d(A, b) > 0. Take r = d(A, b)/2, and take the union U of the family of open balls {K(x, r) : x is in A}. Then U and K(b, r) are disjoint.

ii) Since every metric space is Haussdorf (one can easily show this in a similar manner like showing that it is T1), for every x in A, and for b in X\A, we can find disjoint neighborhoods of x and b respectively, Ux and Vx. The intersection of all Vx and the union of all Ux are disjoint neighborhoods of A and b, respectively.

iii) Since every metric space is normal (i.e. it's T1 and T4), it's regular, too (since, for every two disjoint closed sets one can find disjoint neighborhoods of these sets, and a singleton is closed in a metric space). Of course, this proof assumes that normality is proven :)

Your argument (i) suffices, assuming you can take it as known that [tex]d(b, A) = 0[/tex] if and only if [tex]b \in \overline{A}[/tex].

ystael said:
Your argument (i) suffices, assuming you can take it as known that [tex]d(b, A) = 0[/tex] if and only if [tex]b \in \overline{A}[/tex].

Yes, I went through the proof of that argument, it was part of another assignment. Thanks.

radou said:
ii) Since every metric space is Haussdorf (one can easily show this in a similar manner like showing that it is T1), for every x in A, and for b in X\A, we can find disjoint neighborhoods of x and b respectively, Ux and Vx. The intersection of all Vx and the union of all Ux are disjoint neighborhoods of A and b, respectively.

You don't know know that an intersection of open sets is open when there are infinite of them.

Office_Shredder said:
You don't know know that an intersection of open sets is open when there are infinite of them.

Good point, thanks.

Related to Is Every Metric Space Regular?

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of points and a distance function between those points. The distance function must satisfy certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

What does it mean for a metric space to be regular?

A metric space is regular if it satisfies the following conditions: 1) every point in the space has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to an open ball, 2) every closed set and a point not contained in it can be separated by disjoint open sets, and 3) every open set can be written as the union of a countable collection of closed sets.

Why is it important for a metric space to be regular?

A regular metric space has many useful properties that make it easier to work with and analyze. For example, regularity ensures that the space is Hausdorff, meaning that distinct points can be separated by open sets. This makes it easier to define and study limits, continuity, and convergence in the space.

How do you prove that a metric space is regular?

To prove that a metric space is regular, one must show that it satisfies the three conditions mentioned earlier: the existence of homeomorphic neighborhoods, separation of closed sets and points, and the countable cover property for open sets. This can be done using various techniques, such as constructing a suitable homeomorphism or using the Urysohn Lemma.

Can a metric space be regular but not complete?

Yes, it is possible for a metric space to be regular but not complete. For example, the rational numbers with the standard metric are regular but not complete. This means that while every point in the space has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to an open ball, there may be sequences in the space that do not converge to a limit point.