Is every element in a finite extension of a field of characteristic 0 algebraic?

In summary, to show that any field of characteristic 0 is perfect, we first consider a field F of characteristic 0 and a finite extension K of F. We then show that any element b in K must satisfy a minimal polynomial in F[x], as b is algebraic over F. This minimal polynomial must be irreducible, and since K is generated by a single element, b must be the root of an irreducible polynomial in F[x]. Therefore, every element in K has a unique minimal polynomial, and thus no multiple roots, proving that F is perfect.
futurebird

Homework Statement

Show that any field of characteristic 0 is perfect.

2. The attempt at a solution

Let F be a field of characteristic 0.
Let K be a finite extension of F.
Let b be an element in K .

I need to show that b satisfies a polynomial over F having no multiple roots.

If f(x) is irreducible in F[x] then f(x) has no multiple roots.

I need to show that b satisfies a irreducible polynomial in F[x].

Well, suppose b can't satisfy any irreducible polynomial in F[x]. Can I get a contradiction? What kind of element could I have that didn't satisfy any irreducible polynomial?

Then how can b be in the finite extension...? A finite extension for a field of characteristic 0 is of the form F(a), it is generated by a single element. I'm stuck. I don't even know if what I've laid out so far is correct.

I'm having trouble connecting the arbitrary element b to a polynomial-- It's not obvious to me that b is the root of any polynomial in F[x].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well K is a finite extension of F. So b is algebraic over F, and hence has a minimal polynomial in F[x].

If you don't know what a min poly is, think about what it means for K to be a finite extension of F. What does this say about the set {1, b, b^2, b^3, ...}?

Related to Is every element in a finite extension of a field of characteristic 0 algebraic?

What is a "field of characteristic 0"?

A field of characteristic 0 is a mathematical structure that satisfies all the properties of a field (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) and has a characteristic of 0. This means that there are no non-zero elements in the field that can be added to themselves a certain number of times to equal 0. In other words, there are no non-zero elements with finite order in the field.

What are some examples of fields of characteristic 0?

Examples of fields of characteristic 0 include the field of rational numbers, the field of real numbers, and the field of complex numbers. These fields all have infinite order, meaning that there are infinitely many non-zero elements in the field.

How is a field of characteristic 0 different from a field of characteristic p?

A field of characteristic 0 is different from a field of characteristic p in that a characteristic p field has a finite order, meaning that there are elements in the field that can be added to themselves p times to equal 0. In contrast, a characteristic 0 field has an infinite order and does not have any elements with finite order.

Why is the concept of characteristic important in fields?

The concept of characteristic is important in fields because it helps to classify and compare different types of fields. The characteristic of a field determines its structure and properties, and it can also affect the solutions to equations and problems involving that field.

What are some applications of fields of characteristic 0?

Fields of characteristic 0 have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they are used in abstract algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They also have practical applications in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes.