Is Continuity Defined by the Behavior of Function Over Closure of Sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of continuity in the context of a mapping f from {\mathbb{R}}^n to {\mathbb{R}}^m. It is stated that f is continuous if and only if for all subsets M of {\mathbb{R}}^n, the inclusion f(closM) \subseteq closf(M) holds, where closM denotes the closure of the set M. The conversation also mentions using the closure of a set of terms of a partial sequence in the proof, but this may depend on how the closure is defined. Finally, it is suggested to use the definition of continuity involving sequences to prove the statement.
symplectic_manifold
Hi!
Please, give me some guidance in solving this problem.

Let [itex]f:{\mathbb{R}}^n\longrightarrow{\mathbb{R}}^m[/itex].
Show that f is continuous iff for all [itex]M\subset{\mathbb{R}}^n[/itex] the inclusion [itex]f(closM)\subseteq{clos{}f(M)}[/itex] holds.(closM denotes the closure of the set M)

Please, ask me some guiding questions to lead me in the right direction straightaway. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First off you should tell us what your definition of continuous is so that we do not use one of the many equivalent conditions that we aren't supposed to (eg inverse image of open set is open).

The definition we mainly use is:

The mapping [itex]f:X\longrightarrow{Y}[/itex] is continuous in [itex]x_0\in{X}[/itex] iff for all [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all [itex]x\in{X}[/itex] with[itex]d_X(x,x_0)<\delta[/itex] the following inequality holds: [itex]d_Y(f(x),f(x_0))<\epsilon[/itex]

I forgot to tell about the hint. It says we should use the closure of the set of the terms of some partial sequence, which should then be mapped by f. I can't get anything out of it.
I found an alternative proof of the above proposition (in Djedonne's "Analysis"), but it uses adherent points of M...which I don't think we are supposed to use, because we didn't explicitly treated these concepts.

So, you're specifically talking about this as a metric topology.

Do you know the definition that a function is continuous at x if and only if for all sequences x_n tending to x then f(x_n) tends to x. You shuold try to prove this is equivalent to your commonly used definition of continuity.

OK, but will it bring closure with it into the game?

Again, how easily useful this hint is will depend upon how *you* define the closure. There are at least 4 different (but equivalent) ways of doing this.

Our definition of closure is:
The closure of a set is the union of this set with all its limit points.

How can I formally connect the definition of continuity with the above def. of closure to get a statement about some terms of a subsequence in X converging to some x_0? What should happen when the closure of the set of these terms (hint) is mapped under f? Should there be a contradiction?

Let me retell you what you already know.

Let x_n be a series in M that tend to x, ie a point in the closure.

What happnens when we apply f?

Now, every point in the closure of M is the limit of such a sequence.

Hence the result is true.

Related to Is Continuity Defined by the Behavior of Function Over Closure of Sets?

What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the state or quality of being continuous, without interruption or break. In mathematics, continuity refers to a function that can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

What is the difference between continuous and discontinuous functions?

A continuous function is one that is unbroken and has no gaps or holes in its graph. A discontinuous function, on the other hand, has at least one point where the graph is not connected, creating a gap or hole.

How is continuity related to differentiability?

In mathematics, differentiability is a property of functions that are smooth and have no sharp turns or corners. All differentiable functions are also continuous, but not all continuous functions are differentiable.

What is the epsilon-delta definition of continuity?

The epsilon-delta definition of continuity is a mathematical method for rigorously defining the concept of continuity. It states that a function f is continuous at a point c if for any small number ε, there exists a corresponding small number δ such that if |x - c| < δ, then |f(x) - f(c)| < ε.

Why is continuity important in calculus?

Continuity is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. It also helps us to define and understand the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals, which are fundamental to calculus.