Is Conformal Cyclic Cosmology a Viable Explanation for the Big Bang?

In summary, the community is largely unconvinced by Penrose's theory, but some researchers think there is evidence in the CMB for it.
tdecelles
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share this new interview I found with Roger Penrose wherein he discusses his theory of conformal cyclic cosmology:

http://www.ideasroadshow.com/issues/roger-penrose-2013-07-12

I was wondering, are you convinced by his theory? I find it intriguing but I'm skeptical of the notion of information loss, or "transcending" the second law.

Space news on Phys.org
My impression is that Penrose has not convinced the community of his model.

I would hazard a guess that most will say they haven't paid any attention to it at all, those that have think its at best a neat idea but not convincing enough. Certainly the initial empirical evidence he presented was not bought by the community, it was totally shot down in fact.
However since then K Meisner et al who are bit more respected in the field I believe did have some positive things to say about CCC, even agreeing there is evidence for it in WMAP data. I don't know if they still think that after PLanck .
http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.2498

One of the biggest assumption in the theory is that all matter decays to radiation, but proton decay for example is ruled out for about 10^33 years. Of course with 10^100 years for black hole decay I guess Penrsoe has a lot of time to play with. But he still has to assume something like the Higgs field itself decays, However he doesn't have to assume extra dimensions or supersymmetry or even any novel quantum gravity affects.

I also think i should add that there many proposals for a pre big bang scenario and CCC is one of them. But in my opinion there are only two models that have attracted a significantly wider community of researchers. One is loop quantum cosmology and the other is eternal inflation. both of these have many researchers around the world publishing a lot of papers every year.
Of course that doesn't mean either of these models are correct or that CCC is wrong, but if you want to know what has attracted researchers and what has not in terms of these sorts of scenarios that's my take. I wonder if others agree?

tdecelles said:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share this new interview I found with Roger Penrose wherein he discusses his theory of conformal cyclic cosmology:

http://www.ideasroadshow.com/issues/roger-penrose-2013-07-12

I was wondering, are you convinced by his theory? I find it intriguing but I'm skeptical of the notion of information loss, or "transcending" the second law.
This idea has been severely tainted by an exceedingly bad paper published about it a few years ago, where Penrose and Gurzadyan misunderstood the basic statistics of the CMB, and used that misunderstanding in an attempt to claim evidence for their idea.

As it stands, however, it's a pie-in-the-sky idea with no supporting evidence for it, and nearly all such ideas are wrong.

Related to Is Conformal Cyclic Cosmology a Viable Explanation for the Big Bang?

What is Conformal Cyclic Cosmology?

Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC) is a theory proposed by physicist Roger Penrose that suggests the universe undergoes an infinite series of cycles, with each cycle beginning and ending with a Big Bang.

What is the evidence for CCC?

The evidence for CCC is still being debated and studied, but some of the key points include the existence of a cosmic microwave background radiation, the observed structure of the universe, and the theory's ability to potentially solve certain issues in traditional cosmology such as the horizon problem.

How does CCC differ from the Big Bang theory?

CCC differs from the Big Bang theory in that it suggests the universe undergoes an infinite number of cycles, rather than a single beginning and end. It also proposes a different mechanism for the formation and evolution of the universe.

What are the criticisms of CCC?

Some criticisms of CCC include the lack of concrete evidence and the complexity of the theory. It also raises questions about the nature of time and the feasibility of observing multiple cycles.

How does CCC impact our understanding of the universe?

CCC challenges our current understanding of the universe and raises new questions about its origins and structure. If proven to be true, it could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the cosmos and how it evolves over time.