BGV-theorem and Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology

In summary, the BGV-theorem implies that expanding universes must have had a beginning and that conformal rescaling in CCC breaks the "expanding" condition of the theorem.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
How does the BGV-theorem fit in with Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology?
Dear all,

Some time ago I stumbled upon the famous BGV-theorem,

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borde–Guth–Vilenkin_theorem
- https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0110012

which states that on spacetimes which have, on average, a positive Hubble constant, one can find timelike geodesics which cannot be completed indefinitely in the past. This is often rephrased as "expanding universes must have had a beginning", although this statement is a bit subtle. My simple question is: How does the BGV-theorem fit in with Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC)? Does it imply that this CCC is also not past-complete? Can someone point to references in which this is explicitly treated? :) I can't find any references in Penroses' Cycles of Time.

Likes vanhees71 and Auto-Didact
Space news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
This is often rephrased as "expanding universes must have had a beginning", although this statement is a bit subtle.

Yes, it is. I would rephrase it as follows: An expanding region of spacetime (a region in which the averaged Hubble constant is positive) must either have an initial singularity, or must not be the entire spacetime.

haushofer said:
How does the BGV-theorem fit in with Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC)?

I'm not sure, but I think the "conformal rescaling" that occurs at each boundary in CCC (where the future boundary of one expanding universe gets matched to the past "Big Bang" boundary of the next) breaks the "expanding" condition of the BGV theorem, mathematically speaking. Whether that "conformal rescaling" is actually a reasonable physical thing to happen is a different question.

Likes vanhees71
Hi Peter, thanks for your response! Yes, I guess the answer lies in how the gluing together of the endphase of one universe to the beginning of the next one is defined precisely. I don't see how expansion of space can be properly defined in a conformal theory anyway.

haushofer said:
I don't see how expansion of space can be properly defined in a conformal theory anyway.

Yes, that's a good point, since in a purely conformal theory there is no distance or time scale.

Mmm, now I think of it: is the inflationary epoch also described by a conformally-invariant spacetime, as there are no massive particles yet? Then this issue of expansion should already hold in the usual inflationary scenarios.

Likes Auto-Didact
haushofer said:
is the inflationary epoch also described by a conformally-invariant spacetime

I don't think so. I believe the only way to have a conformally invariant spacetime with nonzero stress-energy present (where I'm including a cosmological constant or the equivalent as nonzero stress-energy) is to have the stress-energy be pure null dust, i.e., equation of state ##p = \rho / 3##, which is what I understand the stress-energy in the conformally invariant part of each cycle in CCC to be. The inflaton field, like a cosmological constant, has ##p = - \rho##. But I haven't dug deeply into the math to confirm that my belief is correct.

Likes haushofer and Auto-Didact

Related to BGV-theorem and Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology

1. What is the BGV-theorem?

The BGV-theorem, named after its authors Arvind Borde, Alan Guth, and Alexander Vilenkin, is a mathematical theorem that states that any universe that has, on average, been expanding throughout its history must have a beginning. This means that the universe cannot be infinite in the past, but must have a starting point at some finite time in the past.

2. How does the BGV-theorem relate to the Big Bang theory?

The BGV-theorem supports the Big Bang theory by providing evidence that the universe had a beginning. This aligns with the Big Bang theory's idea that the universe started as a singularity and has been expanding ever since.

3. What is Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology?

Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC) is a cosmological model proposed by physicist Roger Penrose. It suggests that the universe goes through an infinite number of cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle starting with a Big Bang and ending with a Big Crunch. The end of one cycle becomes the beginning of the next, and this process continues infinitely.

4. How does Penrose's CCC address the BGV-theorem?

Penrose's CCC addresses the BGV-theorem by proposing that the universe has no beginning or end, but instead goes through an infinite number of cycles. This means that the universe does not have a single starting point, but rather a continuous cycle of beginnings and endings.

5. What evidence supports Penrose's CCC?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports Penrose's CCC. However, some scientists argue that the model provides a possible solution to the BGV-theorem and addresses other issues in cosmology, such as the arrow of time and the observed flatness of the universe. Further research and observations are needed to fully support or refute Penrose's CCC.