Is Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) at the same time?

In summary: It all depends. Some schools go as far as multivariable in e&m, some don't even require anything beyond basic calculus. You should ask someone at your school.It's not required, but it can be helpful. Look at prereq's and recommended sequences. At my school Calc 2 is the co-req of physics I and thus the pre-req of physics II. Calc 3 is not required but looking through the book, I find that hard to believe.In summary, at my school, Calc 2 is the pre-req of Physics I, so if you want to take Physics II, you'll need to take Calc 3. However, it's not required and you can still get the
DrummingAtom
I'm taking Calc 1 and Physics 1 this semester. Things are going well, although Physics can be difficult at times. Next semester I would be taking Physics 2 and Calc 2 at the same time. I keep hearing from other students that this is a bad idea. Can someone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've never taken integral calculus before I can see how it would be difficult, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.

fss said:
If you've never taken integral calculus before I can see how it would be difficult, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.

Well I know some basic Integral stuff from self study. But I don't know much of Vector Calculus. From looking at my Physics book it seems very different from Physics 1 (mechanics).

It all depends. Some schools go as far as multivariable in e&m, some don't even require anything beyond basic calculus. You should ask someone at your school.

Look at prereq's and recommended sequences. At my school Calc 2 is the co-req of physics I and thus the pre-req of physics II. Calc 3 is not required but looking through the book, I find that hard to believe.

Then again I can say that about a lot of maths. Useful for understanding but not necessarily needed to solve problems. At least not at this level.

Chunkysalsa said:
Look at prereq's and recommended sequences. At my school Calc 2 is the co-req of physics I and thus the pre-req of physics II. Calc 3 is not required but looking through the book, I find that hard to believe.

Then again I can say that about a lot of maths. Useful for understanding but not necessarily needed to solve problems. At least not at this level.

This is how my school was setup, but when I initially signed up for classes this semester it didn't say any prerequisites. After a couple weeks into Physics 1 my professor got asked a question about derivatives and then he said everyone should have already had Calc 1 before enrolling in this class. Well that was certainly news to me. Now I'm stuck if I should just catch up on Math or wing it and try both. I'll talk to my professor about it.

Put your mathematical development ahead of your physics courses. You may need very simple Calculus and Algebra and basic Trigonometry for Physics 1 (usually just fundamental Mechanics); but Physics 2 (Electricity & Magnetism) will require some mathematical maturity for learning to apply integration, differentiation, and much use of vectors and more trigonometry. The "winging it" idea will serve very badly. My own trouble when I did Physics 2 while also Calculus 3 was that I did not yet have enough conditioning in using Calculus 2 or 3, and I struggled in the E&M, and had only an extremely poor grip on the course. I would take what your teacher said, and what the other students told you.

Chunkysalsa said:
At my school Calc 2 is the co-req of physics I and thus the pre-req of physics II. Calc 3 is not required but looking through the book, I find that hard to believe.

Calculus-based intro E&M does generally use vector calculus concepts like surface integrals for Gauss's Law and line integrals for Ampere's Law, but the course develops the concepts from scratch (i.e. doesn't assume you know anything more than basic single-variable calculus). Also, the examples and exercises use very symmetrical situations in which the integrals become almost trivial, as integrals. I call them "Geico integrals:" "So easy, a caveman can do them."

Whenever I've encountered a difficult and unheard-of math concept in physics, I've been able to look it up in the book, understand it, and apply it. If you're going into physics or engineering, you're going to need to do this anyway.

Related to Is Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) at the same time?

1. What are the benefits of taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) at the same time?

Taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) at the same time allows for a deeper understanding of both subjects as they are closely related. It also saves time and allows for a smoother transition between the two courses.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in Calc 1 and Physics 1 before taking these courses together?

While having a strong foundation in Calc 1 and Physics 1 can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of these subjects before taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) together. These courses build on the concepts learned in the previous courses, but they also cover new material.

3. How can one effectively manage the workload of taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) simultaneously?

Effective time management and organization skills are key to successfully managing the workload of taking both courses together. It is important to prioritize studying and completing assignments for both courses evenly and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

4. Are there any specific study strategies that can help with understanding the material in both courses?

One helpful strategy is to make connections between the concepts learned in Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M). This can help with understanding and retaining the material. It is also beneficial to practice solving problems and seeking help from professors or classmates if needed.

5. Are there any potential challenges or difficulties that may arise from taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 (E&M) at the same time?

One potential challenge is the overlapping material and concepts between the two courses. It is important to stay organized and to seek help if needed to fully grasp the material. It is also important to manage time effectively to balance the workload of both courses.