Is Bobby Fischer Losing His Mind?

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, Bobby Fischer, a world champion chess player, was taken into custody for attempting to leave Japan with an invalid passport. He had been living abroad to avoid facing charges for attending a match in Yugoslavia in violation of international sanctions. Fischer had made controversial statements, including praising the 9/11 attacks and expressing hatred towards Jews, despite his mother being Jewish. He has also displayed signs of mental instability, leading some to question his sanity.
Tsu
Gold Member
What's with Bobby Fischer??

A world champion chess player praises 911. I guess the US really ticked him off! :rolleyes:

In a bizarre endgame, U.S. chess master Bobby Fischer was taken into custody after trying to fly out of Japan with an invalid passport.

Wanted at home for attending a 1992 match in what was then Yugoslavia, violating international sanctions, Fischer managed to stay one move ahead of the law by living abroad and being sheltered by chess devotees. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Friday that it was not yet determined whether the United States would ask that Fischer be turned over to U.S. authorities.
He praised the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, saying America should be "wiped out," and described Jews as "thieving, lying bastards." His mother was Jewish.

I also have to wonder just what his mother did to make him hate Jews! :surprise: :rolleyes:

http://www.freep.com/news/nw/bobby17_20040717.htm
for entire article

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe his mother beat him in a game of chess?

I don't think that he's mentally sane now. Too many chess perhaps :(

I recall reading several years back that BF had been living incognito in California, under an assumed name, and was under the paranoid delusion that the "commies were after him" !

He does seem a bit unhinged.

Another person that would have been better off taking up billiards as a kid.

Bobby Fischer never was quite sane, escpecialy in social situations. I think it was during the world championship match against Spassky in Reykjavik, when he happened to meet Spassky in the hotel elevator. He immideately changed to another hotel so he would avoid "such incidences" in the future :rolleyes:
He was a good chess player though. When I was representing Norway in a youth tournament in Reykjavik around New Year, I got to sit in Fischer's and Spassky's chairs in a museum, thanks to the nice people at the Icelandic Chess Federation :smile:

I think the U.S. should force a match between Bobby Fischer and Fritz.

freakingly enough, chess doesn't have anything to do with intelligence... one of my friends have been junior champion and he's really not very bright... i can kick his ass in everything but chess basically...
untill i met him, it had always bothered me, that i wasn't very good at chess... :biggrin:

bobby fisher has been ****ed up for decades, but it seems he's really losing it now...

Related to Is Bobby Fischer Losing His Mind?

1. What made Bobby Fischer such a successful chess player?

Bobby Fischer was known for his exceptional intelligence and memory, as well as his intense dedication and study of the game. He also had a unique playing style that often caught opponents off guard.

2. How did Bobby Fischer's personal life affect his chess career?

Bobby Fischer's tumultuous personal life, including his strained relationships with family and friends, may have contributed to his intense focus and drive in the game of chess. However, it also led to his eventual withdrawal from the public eye and retirement from professional chess.

3. What impact did Bobby Fischer have on the game of chess?

Bobby Fischer's rise to fame and World Championship win in 1972 brought a surge of interest in chess around the world. He also popularized the use of chess clocks and introduced new strategies and variations of openings to the game.

4. Why did Bobby Fischer withdraw from professional chess?

After winning the World Championship in 1972, Bobby Fischer became increasingly paranoid and eccentric. He refused to defend his title in 1975 and withdrew from professional chess altogether, citing dissatisfaction with the rules and regulations of the game.

5. What is Bobby Fischer's legacy in the world of chess?

Bobby Fischer is widely regarded as one of the greatest chess players in history and his legacy continues to inspire and influence players around the world. He also brought significant attention and popularity to the game, leading to its recognition as a sport and paving the way for future chess champions.

Back