Is black hole a racially insensitive term?

In summary, a white county commissioner made an analogy between the central collections office and a "black hole" which caused a heated argument between him and a black county commissioner. The controversy eventually ended with the apology of one of the commissioners.

Jordan Joab said:
People that identify themselves as black, white, yellow, etc. are inferior to me. Call me racist all you want.
Given that you've now changed what you are saying, I think we can only really call you inconsistent, and walk away deciding to ignore any Jordan Joabs that we come across.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Gokul43201 said:
Given that you've now changed what you are saying, I think we can only really call you inconsistent, and walk away deciding to ignore any Jordan Joabs that we come across.

Who? Never mind; not worth my time.

Gokul43201 said:

I'll agree with that--

--(and, paraphrase Dorothy upon landing in Oz, "Jordan, you should have a feeling you're not in the Dominican Republic anymore")

Math Is Hard said:
That reminds me of the petition to end women's suffrage:

Now that's funny.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Elliott said:
Now that's funny.:smile:

funny?--that's NOT funny!

-I don't want to see ANYONE go through any more suffragation!

(did I just quote something that Bush said already?)

I dislike and avoid or ignore white people who are proud of their skin colour and feel they are culturally superior. I don't like white people who shun people based on the colour of their skin and demean and blame them for all of their problems.

I think most of us would agree with the above statement even though it is exlcusionary and seemingly racist.
The funny thing is that you can switch out the word 'white' for any other colour or race and it is no worse yet people will view it as worse. For every iteration added to the first the more logical and fair the position becomes. But for some strange reason many people will only take a dimmer and dimmer view of it as if somehow people who are not white are exempt from the disgust associated with racism and showing disgust for their racism somehow becomes racist in and of itself.

The only thing I disagree with Jordan on is dislike for persons who take on a cultural identity. Perhaps though in his experience it goes hand in hand with racism.

Gokul43201 said:

Ah thank you! Much easier to pay attention to people that classify humans into sub-groups that make no sense.

Edit: I wonder who's more racist, the guy that supports a caste system or the guy that hates the castes and wants to do away with them?

~J

Jordan Joab said:
Edit: I wonder who's more racist, the guy that supports a caste system or the guy that hates the castes and wants to do away with them?

~J

The white guy.

WarPhalange said:
The white guy.

The irony.

~J

Ok, I think this is just going to continue to go downhill. Closed.