Is B^{ij}_i a Contravariant Vector?

In summary, B^{ij}_{i} is a contravariant vector as it satisfies the definition of a vector by transforming correctly under coordinate changes and can also be written as a single index array, satisfying the test of a contravariant vector.
cristina89

Homework Statement

B is a third order tensor. Show that [itex]B^{ij}_{i}[/itex] is a contravariant vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I just thought about a simple solution but I don't think I'm right. But anyways.
Considering [itex]B^{ij}_{i}[/itex]. If I raise the index i: [itex]g^{ij}B^{ij}_{i} = B^{ijj}[/itex]
And so I can say that B is a first order tensor = vector. And this is a contravariant vector.
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

cristina89 said:

Homework Statement

B is a third order tensor. Show that [itex]B^{ij}_{i}[/itex] is a contravariant vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I just thought about a simple solution but I don't think I'm right. But anyways.
Considering [itex]B^{ij}_{i}[/itex]. If I raise the index i: [itex]g^{ij}B^{ij}_{i} = B^{ijj}[/itex]
You can't have the same index three times! Also, using the "summation convention" you sum over one "upper" and one "lower" index so even if you wrote [itex]g^{kj}B^{ij}_k[/itex], you would not be summing. Perhaps what you mean is [itex]g^k_jB^{ij}_k= B^i[/itex]

And so I can say that B is a first order tensor = vector. And this is a contravariant vector.
Is this right?
Well, what is the definition of a contravariant vector? Can you show that this satisfies that definition? Remember that it is NOT enough just to show that something can be written with a single index- you can write an array, in a given coordinate system, indexed with a single index- that does not make it a "vector". A vector must change coordinates correctly as the coordinate system changes. If I remember correctly (it's been a while!) one test for a contravariant vector, written as [itex]v^i[/itex], is that the combination [itex]g_{ij}v^iv^j[/itex] (essentially the vector length) is a scalar. Which, again, does not just mean "a number" in a given coordinate system. A scalar (0 order tensor) must not change when you change coordinate systems.

Equally well you can show that [itex] B^{ij}_i [/itex] transforms as a vector, ie. if I do a coordinate transform [itex] x^{i} \rightarrow x^{i'} [/itex], B should transform as
[tex] B^{i' j'}_{i'} = \frac{\partial x^{j'}}{\partial x^{j}} B^{ij}_i [/tex]

Related to Is B^{ij}_i a Contravariant Vector?

What is a contravariant vector?

A contravariant vector is a type of mathematical object used in vector calculus and tensor analysis. It represents a quantity that changes in a specific direction when the coordinate system is transformed.

How is a contravariant vector different from a covariant vector?

While both contravariant and covariant vectors are used to represent quantities that change with respect to coordinate transformations, they differ in how they transform under those transformations. A contravariant vector changes in the opposite direction of the coordinate system, while a covariant vector changes in the same direction.

What is the significance of contravariant vectors in physics?

In physics, contravariant vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. They are essential in the study of motion and dynamics, as they allow for the analysis of how these quantities change in different coordinate systems.

How are contravariant vectors related to tensors?

Contravariant vectors are closely related to tensors, as they are one of the components that make up a tensor. A tensor is a mathematical object that can represent multiple quantities and their relationships in different coordinate systems.

Can contravariant vectors be visualized?

Contravariant vectors can be visualized as arrows or directed line segments in a specific direction. However, unlike covariant vectors which can be visualized as tangent vectors on a curved surface, contravariant vectors are not as easily visualized in physical space.