Is an Odd Order Permutation Always an Even Permutation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a permutation with an odd order must be an even permutation. The person has made some progress but is having trouble putting all the pieces together. They have defined the order of a permutation and are trying to show that A is "even", meaning it is a product of an odd number of "odd" permutations.
Redhead711
I have been working with the following question for quite awhile:

Show that a permutation with an odd order must be an even
permutation.

I have made some progress, but I am having trouble putting it altogether
to make my proof coherent.

This is what i have so far:

Let e= epsilon
Say BA^(2ka+1)= ae. Then BA^(2ka)=BA^(-1).
But BA^(2k)=(BA^ka)^2 is even.

I know that I am on the right track but I can't seem to put
it altogether. Can someone help me please. If I could
just have it explained Iam sure I will understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you told us what your notation, etc. meant.

1. How are you defining the "order" of a permutation?

2. Are A and B premutations? If so which is intended to be the "permutation with odd order?

3. What is k? what is a?

I suppose the order of a permutation is its order as an element of the group of permutations, i.e. that A^k = id for some odd number k>0, and for no smaller positive integer.

Then we claim A is "even". Recall that a product of an odd number of "odd" permutations is also "odd"...

does that help?

Yes you have helped me very much, I think I have a handle on the problem know than you both. :)

Related to Is an Odd Order Permutation Always an Even Permutation?

What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects in a specific order.

How many permutations are possible for a set of n objects?

The number of permutations possible for a set of n objects is n!, which is read as "n factorial." For example, if there are 4 objects, there are 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 permutations.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation takes into account the order of objects, while a combination does not. In other words, two different permutations can be made from the same set of objects if the order is different, but only one combination can be made from the same set of objects.

How can I calculate the number of permutations if some objects are repeated?

If some objects are repeated, the number of permutations can be calculated by dividing the total number of permutations by the factorial of the number of times each object is repeated. For example, if there are 5 objects with 2 of them being the same, the number of permutations would be 5! / 2! = 60.

What are some real-life applications of permutations?

Permutations are useful in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They can be used to calculate probabilities, analyze data, and solve problems in combinatorics and optimization. In everyday life, permutations can be used in tasks such as arranging a seating chart or creating different combinations of ingredients for a recipe.