Surjectivity for permutation representation of a group action

In summary: So you're done.In summary, the problem is to prove that the tetrahedral rotation group, denoted as $T$, is isomorphic to some subgroup of $S_4$. To do this, we define a homomorphism $f:T \rightarrow Perm(|4|)$, where $Perm(|4|)$ represents the permutations of the 4 faces of the tetrahedron. $f$ is injective, as shown by the fact that $|Ker(f)|=1$, and the class equation for $T$ is $12 = 1+3+4+4$, implying that there are no odd permutations in $T$. This leads to the conclusion that $T \approx A_4
kalish1
I am having trouble proving that my function is surjective. Here is the problem statement:

Problem statement: Let T be the tetrahedral rotation group. Use a suitable action of T on some set, and the permutation representation of this action, to show that T is isomorphic to a subgroup of $S_4$.

Outline of my attempt at a proof:

Let $S$ be the set of faces of the tetrahedron. There exists a homomorphism $f:T$ $\rightarrow$ (permutations of the faces). There are $4$ faces, so $|Perm(|4|)| = 24$. We want to show that $T$ is a bijection, and show the faithfulness of $f$. Well, $|Ker(f)|=1$, because no rotation fixes all faces. So $f$ is injective. Also, the class equation for $T$ is $12 = 1+3+4+4$, which admits no "subsums" to $6$, implying that there are no odd permutations because $T$ has no subgroup of index $2$. So $T \approx A_4$, which is a subgroup of $S_4$.

The thing that evades me is how to prove that $f$ is surjective?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I am having trouble proving that my function is surjective. Here is the problem statement:

Problem statement: Let T be the tetrahedral rotation group. Use a suitable action of T on some set, and the permutation representation of this action, to show that T is isomorphic to a subgroup of $S_4$.

Outline of my attempt at a proof:

Let $S$ be the set of faces of the tetrahedron. There exists a homomorphism $f:T$ $\rightarrow$ (permutations of the faces). There are $4$ faces, so $|Perm(|4|)| = 24$. We want to show that $T$ is a bijection, and show the faithfulness of $f$. Well, $|Ker(f)|=1$, because no rotation fixes all faces. So $f$ is injective. Also, the class equation for $T$ is $12 = 1+3+4+4$, which admits no "subsums" to $6$, implying that there are no odd permutations because $T$ has no subgroup of index $2$. So $T \approx A_4$, which is a subgroup of $S_4$.

The thing that evades me is how to prove that $f$ is surjective?

It is not.
$T$ is isomorphic with $A_4$, which has 12 elements.
However, there are 24 permutations of the faces.
So f cannot be surjective.
Note that for instance the exchange of exactly 2 faces is not possible.

All you are required to do is show that $T$ is isomorphic to some SUBGROUP of $S_4$. In practical terms, this means finding a suitable set of 4 objects on which $T$ acts injectively. The 4 faces of the tetrahedron work just fine, and your proposed map is injective, so you are finished.

If you MUST prove surjectivity of SOMETHING, you need only show that there is a surjective map of $T$ onto $A_4$, which it appears you have already done, since $S_4$ has PRECISELY ONE subgroup of order 12.

Related to Surjectivity for permutation representation of a group action

1. What is the definition of surjectivity in the context of permutation representation of a group action?

In the context of permutation representation of a group action, surjectivity refers to the property of a mapping where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This means that every possible output is covered by the mapping, and there are no elements left out.

2. How is surjectivity related to injectivity and bijectivity in the context of permutation representation of a group action?

In the context of permutation representation of a group action, surjectivity, injectivity, and bijectivity are all properties of a mapping. A mapping is surjective if every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain, injective if each element in the range is mapped to by at most one element in the domain, and bijective if it is both surjective and injective. These properties are important in understanding the behavior and structure of a group action.

3. How is the surjectivity of a permutation representation of a group action determined?

The surjectivity of a permutation representation of a group action can be determined by examining the elements of the group and their corresponding mappings. If every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain, then the permutation representation is surjective. This can also be checked by looking at the cycle structure of the permutation, as a permutation is surjective if and only if the cycle structure covers all elements in the set being acted upon.

4. What is the importance of surjectivity in permutation representation of a group action?

Surjectivity is important in permutation representation of a group action because it ensures that every element in the range is mapped to, making the mapping complete and covering all possible outputs. This is particularly relevant in the study of group actions, as it helps to understand the structure and behavior of the group as a whole.

5. Can a permutation representation of a group action be surjective but not injective?

Yes, it is possible for a permutation representation of a group action to be surjective but not injective. This means that every element in the range is mapped to, but there may be some elements in the domain that are mapped to by multiple elements in the range. In other words, there may be some repetitions in the mapping, but all elements in the range are still covered.