Is Adding Zero Valid in Inequality Proofs?

In summary, Spivak is talking about the trichotomy axiom and how it can be interpreted as (a - b) > 0, (a - b) = 0 or (a - b) < 0. If a < b, then it can be written as (a - b) > 0 and then the axiom can be interpreted as (a - b) > 0, (a - b) = 0 or (a - b) < 0. My concern is that it might be a bit weird to add 0 + 0 on the left side of the inequality, and I ask if this is valid. It is valid as long as each step is true.
sponsoredwalk
Hi I'm doing the first chapter of Spivak's Calculus and just a little concerned about a
particular thing he does in the chapter.

He is talking about the trichotomy axiom and that if a > b then a - b, this can be
understood as expressing (a - b) > 0 and then the axiom can be interpreted as
(a - b) > 0, (a - b) = 0 or (a - b) < 0 (which means that - (a - b) > 0).

My concern is whether it's okay to write the proof that if a < b, and c < d then
a + c < b + d as follows:

If a < b then 0 < (b - a)
If c < d then 0 < (d - c)

Spivak writes that (b - a) + (d - c) = (b + d) - (a + c) and it follows that a + c < b + d
but it makes more sense to me to fill in the details as follows:

If a < b then 0 < (b - a)
If c < d then 0 < (d - c)
0 + 0 < (b - a) + (d - c)
0 < (b + d) - (a + c)
a + c < b + d

My concern is that it's a bit weird to add 0 + 0 on the left, I mean if you add something
to an inequality you should add it to both sides right?
0 < (b - a)
0 + (d - c) < (b - a) + (d - c)
d - c < (b - a) + (d - c)

But this is just circular, you've still got the same thing, that 0 < (b - a).
I ask this because in every inequality proof I've seen so far the method used is to add
to both sides:
I refer you to page 4 of the first chapter of Thomas Calculus as an example:

2x - 1 < x + 3
2x - 1 + 1 < x + 3 + 1
2x + 0 < x + 4
x < 2

How do I make sense out of this, I can see the sense in adding like:
0 + 0 < (b - a) + (d - c)
but am insecure as to whether this is valid or not.

It is the 5th problem of the first chapter of Spivak if you've done it yourself but it
really relates to the description in the text tbh

Physics news on Phys.org

Your method is completely valid and the inequality is correct as long as each step is true :-).

Great, I did most of the proofs that way & then it occurred to me that it might all be wrong, thanks :approve:

Related to Is Adding Zero Valid in Inequality Proofs?

1. What are inequalities in Spivak?

Inequalities in Spivak refer to a set of mathematical statements that compare two quantities and indicate which one is larger or smaller. These statements are represented using symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥.

2. Why are inequalities important in Spivak?

Inequalities are important in Spivak because they help us understand and solve various problems in mathematics, science, and other fields. They also provide a way to express relationships between quantities and make comparisons.

3. What are the different types of inequalities in Spivak?

There are several types of inequalities in Spivak, including linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, polynomial inequalities, and logarithmic inequalities. Each type has its own set of rules and properties.

4. How do you solve inequalities in Spivak?

The process of solving inequalities in Spivak involves finding the values of the variables that satisfy the given inequality. This is done by using algebraic manipulation, graphing, or other methods depending on the type of inequality.

5. What are some real-life applications of inequalities in Spivak?

Inequalities in Spivak have many real-life applications, such as in economics, engineering, and social sciences. For example, they can be used to model and solve problems related to budgeting, optimization, and decision-making.