Is Adding a Phase to the Wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics a Wrong Assumption?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the wave function ψ(x) = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx) to find energy levels for a particle sliding on a frictionless ring. The exercise suggests using the boundary condition ψ(x+L)=ψ(x) but the addition of a phase factor α in ψ(x+L)=exp(iα)ψ(x) leads to different energy levels. However, it is explained that α does not affect the energy levels in quantum mechanics, and the boundary condition ψ(x+L)=ψ(x) does not change with the addition of a constant phase factor. The conversation also mentions the Aharonov Bohm effect and provides additional resources for
aaaa202
So the free particle wave functions are of the type:

ψ(x) = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx) (1)

In a problem I am doing I am supposed to find the energy levels for a particle which is sliding on a frictionless ring and the exercise says that to do so I should use the fact that

ψ(x+L)=ψ(x) (2)

BUT! Since the phase of the wave-function in QM carries no physical significance, shouldn't the most general treatment add a phase to (1) such that:

ψ(x+L)=exp(iα)ψ(x) (3) , where α is an arbitrary real number.

Unfortunately when I do so and solve for the energy levels of the system I don't get the same result as when I use (1). α modifies the energy levels which of course shouldn't happen if the phase carries no physical significance. So is (3) a wrong assumption and if so, why? Here's what I did btw, maybe I made an error somewhere. Using (3) on (1):

Aexp(ikx)exp(ikL) + Bexp(-ikx)exp(-ikL) = exp(iα)(Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx))

This holds particularly for x=0 and x=k/2π yielding:

Aexp(ikL) + Bexp(-ikL) = exp(iα)(A+B)

Aexp(ikL) - Bexp(-ikL) = exp(iα)(A-B)

Which gives:

2Aexp(ikL) = 2Aexp(iα)

So either A=0 or kL-α = 2πn

But the appearance of α in the last equation alters the possible values of k and hence the possible energy values for the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we suppose that ##\psi## is an energy eigenfunction, then: $$\hat H e^{i\alpha}\psi(x) = e^{i\alpha}\hat H \psi(x) = E e^{i\alpha}\psi(x)$$ ... so alpha does not affect the energy levels.

Notice:
##\psi(x+L)## is not a different wavefunction from ##\psi(x)##

Since an arbitrary phase makes no difference, you can propose a new wavefunction ##\psi^\prime(x) = e^{i\alpha}\psi(x)## ... then the boundary condition becomes: $$\psi^\prime(x+L) = \psi^\prime(x)$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that while a constant phase factor is indeed unimportant in QM, a position or angle dependent factor is not. Specifically,
changing ##\psi(\phi)\to \exp(i\alpha(\phi))\psi(\phi)## is a gauge transformation which has to be compensated by changing ##L_z=-i\partial /\partial \phi## to ##L'_z=L_z-\partial \alpha/\partial \phi##. Writing ##\alpha=\int A d\phi## you can interpret this as the effect of a magnetic vector potential A due to a magnetic flux line in the center of your ring. So you rediscovered the Aharonov Bohm effect.

hmm I understand. So what goes wrong in my calculation, where I get an energy dependent on α?

Your phase factor is definitively dependent on angle ##\phi##, as ##\alpha(0)\neq \alpha(2\pi)##.

I don't understand. I let the the periodic boundary condition care an arbitrary phase factor. But shouldn't that be allowed when the phase of the wave function carries no physical significance?

Was the phase factor you added a constant phase?

As Simon explained before: If the phase factor is constant, the new boundary conditions are ##\exp(i\alpha) \psi(2\pi)=\exp(i\alpha)\psi(0)##. So you see that a constant phase factor won't change the original boundary conditions.

This is a very subtle issue. A long time ago, I thought about this in connection with a preprint on the arXiv, which however obviously never made it into a publication in a peer reviewed journal. Of course, there are no truly infinite potential wells and thus the problem is rather academic, but it's fun to think about the fundamental difference between Hermitean and essentially self-adjoint operators. Here are my thoughts on this problem in connection with thermodynamics:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/tmp/box.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm ... perhaps OP does not see why the phase factor added was not of a constant phase?
But without feedback we cannot really tell for sure.

sorry yes. I thought it was a constant phase? What is a constant phase if not the one i added?

Look back at post #2: for the phase to be constant, you have to add it to the x+L wavefunction as well as the x wavefunction. These are actually the same wavefunction evaluated at two different positions. Otherwise the added phase is different for x and x+L: i.e. not constant.

Related to Is Adding a Phase to the Wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics a Wrong Assumption?

1. What is a free particle on a ring?

A free particle on a ring is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of a single particle confined to move on a circular path without any external forces acting on it.

2. What are the assumptions made in the free particle on a ring model?

The main assumptions in this model are that the particle is confined to move on a perfect circular ring, it has no interactions or collisions with other particles, and there are no external forces acting on it.

3. What is the significance of studying a free particle on a ring?

Studying a free particle on a ring can help us understand the behavior of particles in circular systems, such as atoms and molecules, which often exhibit similar properties. It also provides insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the motion of a free particle on a ring described?

The motion of a free particle on a ring is described by the Schrödinger equation, which gives the probability of finding the particle at a particular position on the ring at a given time.

5. What is the quantization of energy in a free particle on a ring?

The quantization of energy in a free particle on a ring means that the energy levels of the particle are discrete and can only take on certain values. This is due to the boundary conditions imposed by the circular ring, which restrict the possible energy states of the particle.