Is accounting and finance easier than Physics?

In summary, I used to like physics, until I did a bachelors in it. I now sit clueless in lectures, even after three whole years, and I never get what's going on in the books as they are explained badly, or I just don't get it. Hell I even tried Feynman, and I still find it difficult to go through those books. I am considering to switch fields to possibly accounting/finance or even economics after I graduate next year, but I've heard horror stories that the accounting/finance professional exams are extremely hard.
quantumadness
I used to like physics, until I did a bachelors in it.

In my final year now (at a Top 20 university in the world) and even though I am currently passing with a reasonably good grade, I still don't know what I am doing.

I still sit clueless in lectures, even after 3 whole years. I never get what's going on in the books as they are explained badly, or I just don't get it. Hell I even tried Feynman, and I still find it difficult to go through those books.

So I just rote learn as much as I can and this is how I pass my exams without understanding anything because I never could understand what the hell was going 90% of the time (the physics mainly, but I could understand the vector calculus and algebra math though). We also got taught programming, however I suck at that too because I could never get my head around it to solve problems and frequently had to ask for help.

Given this situation I am considering to switch fields to possibly accounting/finance or even economics after I graduate next year. However, I've heard horror stories that the accounting/finance professional exams are extremely hard.

Since I come from a physics background and going to pass out with a reasonably good grade anyway from a Top 20 university in the world, I was wondering just how difficult would it be for me to switch to Accounting/Finance or even economics?

Or are there any other fields that I can switch to with relative ease where I am not clueless 100% of the time?

Thanks and I greatly appreciate any helpful advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in the US?

I did some economics during my BS, and I know a guy who double-majored in physics and economics. We both come from very good universities. From my and his experiences, if you are good at math, then you should have no problems. Math in economics/accounting/finance is much easier than math in physics. As for financial concepts and ideas, try reading some of their textbooks and see whether you can understand them and whether you enjoy reading them.

Last edited:
There's no guarantee you won't find yourself sitting in an econ or accounting class and find yourself clueless 100% of the time.

I can't explain how someone who claims to be truly clueless can still be in a physics program getting good grades after three years. The faculty should have caught onto you by now. Or, ..., they're just taking your tuition money and they plan to bounce you out right before graduation.

Most definitely. A lot of physics majors I know moved into finance jobs quite easily post graduation. It never really happens the other way around, except for an Econ major I know who changed to physics. But I think he had always been really into physics.

radium said:
Most definitely. A lot of physics majors I know moved into finance jobs quite easily post graduation. It never really happens the other way around, except for an Econ major I know who changed to physics. But I think he had always been really into physics.
Did they have to get finance degrees? I know that it was not a requirement in the past for some jobs, but now more and more people advice me to go back back to a university and get a fourth degree (after BS, MS and PhD in physics).

No they did not have finance degrees, although a few took finance classes since my school is renowned for the undergraduate business program. The overall response seemed to be that the finance classes are way easier than the physics classes and the math used is at a drastically lower level.

Related to Is accounting and finance easier than Physics?

1. Is accounting and finance easier than Physics?

No, it is not necessarily easier. Both fields require a different set of skills and knowledge. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both fields have a high demand for professionals. Accounting and finance may have more traditional job opportunities, while Physics may have more niche job opportunities in research and academia.

3. Do you need strong math skills for both fields?

Yes, both fields require strong math skills. However, the type of math used may differ between the two fields. Accounting and finance may use more basic math skills such as algebra and statistics, while Physics may require more advanced math skills such as calculus and differential equations.

4. Is Physics more challenging than accounting and finance?

This is subjective and depends on the individual. Some may find Physics more challenging due to its complex theories and mathematical concepts, while others may find accounting and finance more challenging due to its detailed and technical nature.

5. Can you switch from one field to the other?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one field to the other, but it may require additional education and training. For example, someone with a degree in Physics may need to take accounting and finance courses or pursue a master's degree in accounting to switch to that field. Similarly, someone with a degree in accounting and finance may need to take physics courses or pursue a master's degree in physics to switch to that field.