Is acceleration vector or scalar?

In summary, a teacher asks if acceleration can be either a vector or scalar quantity. Responses clarify that acceleration always has a direction and should be treated as a vector, even though it may be referred to as a scalar in certain situations.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I am a teacher currently teaching very introductory physics. I just came across a test question asking the students to choose whether acceleration is vector or scalar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have always thought that acceleration can be either vector or scalar. For example, we call 4 m/s a "speed", and 4 m/s west a "velocity". Similarly, 10 m/s2 is scalar while 10 m/s2 west is a vector, but they are both just called "acceleration".

Am I wrong? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration always has a direction so should always be taken to be a vector. If you only mean the magnitude then that's the magnitude of the acceleration.

Sometimes you have to infer the direction from the context of the problem rather than it being stated explicitly. But there should always be a direction associated with an acceleration.

Acceleration is, like velocity, a vector.

The term speed is used when it is not important to specify the direction or the direction is unknown... But that doesn't mean the object's momentum is directionless. Both velocity and acceleration are vector components as they are always associated with force. Rather than seeing this through physics we should understand the verbal comfort associated with it.

Hi Jumbogala - I was also a high school physics teacher and I saw what you describe in textbook lists of scalar and vector quantities. There are separate terms for speed/velocity (though the word velocity is often used for both), but acceleration was listed twice because there is no separate term for scalar acceleration. It is common to not bother with direction in one dimensional problems such as an object falling straight down.

Delphi51 said:
Hi Jumbogala - I was also a high school physics teacher and I saw what you describe in textbook lists of scalar and vector quantities. There are separate terms for speed/velocity (though the word velocity is often used for both), but acceleration was listed twice because there is no separate term for scalar acceleration. It is common to not bother with direction in one dimensional problems such as an object falling straight down.
On the other hand, even in one-directional problems with a falling object you can have forces acting in opposite directions; gravitational acting downward and drag acting upward. These forces are associated with accelerations with opposite signs. In problems such as these it's important to treat acceleration as a vector quantity.

Delphi51 said:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about! I understand that there are situations where acceleration has to be treated like a vector quantity (such as in Mark44's post). So it would actually be incorrect to say that acceleration can ever be scalar?

Yes, it's incorrect.

Related to Is acceleration vector or scalar?

1. Is acceleration a vector or scalar quantity?

Acceleration is a vector quantity. This means that it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the difference between vector and scalar quantities?

Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, while scalar quantities have only magnitude.

3. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that acceleration is the change in velocity over a certain time period.