Is a play script the right format?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Format
In summary, you are considering writing a story that is highly cerebral and involves just two characters. You are considering writing it as a play script, but you ultimately decide against it because you don't like reading play scripts.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I am forming my next short story and considering the format most appropriate for it.

It's a spec fiction story but it's highly cerebral. It involves as few as two characters, and takes place in pretty much a single location.

Think of it as analogous to a ghost story, like that told around the campfire. The bulk of the story is dialogue, with some stage movement and a few props to ground the story. It's a rare exception to the rule of "show, don't tell".

Actually, now that I think of it, a more appropriate example would be more like Larry Niven's "Tales from the Draco Tavern", which consists of stories told in bar booths by weird people/things, while sipping mind-altering concoctions.

Anyway, I am wondering if it would be better serviced written as a play script rather than standard prose. That leaves the dialogue to shine without all the he said, she said, etc.

Thing is, I despise reading play scripts. I just don't think they flow smoothly enough to sink my mind-teeth into them.

Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just gave me an idea. Although an AI that is the author gets news and objections, an AI that takes raw text and skillfully adds the "he said" "she said" phrases would be much easier to make.

You should do that and make some money from your efforts. Or maybe do some research first to find out if one exists.

If I saw a play script in text, I think I would be tempted to skip it without reading even the first line. My presumption is that a script is written to be read by actors, not by the audience.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and DaveC426913
anorlunda said:
If I saw a play script in text, I think I would be tempted to skip it without reading even the first line. My presumption is that a script is written to be read by actors, not by the audience.
Sure. I guess the underlying question for me becomes:
This story might actually be unsuitable as a short story - should it be told (and submitted) as a play?

I'd only write something in script form if there was a reasonable chance that it might be filmed, or acted in front of an audience. Otherwise go with prose. If an opportunity crops up later, you can always do a re-write. Novels get adapted into movies all the time, so the conversion is a well understood step in the process.

"Show don't tell" can take on some odd meanings in prose. In your example of people telling stories around a campfire, what you actually have is a framing device for a bunch of stories told in first person. So your characters telling stories can "show" their audience things with their descriptions. This also works on the stage, where there are limits to what you can show. But it is considered cheap and sit-com if you do it as a movie. A storyteller can still work, but "show don't tell" changes to mean voiceovers and flashbacks that we actually see.

My Dinner with Andr'zpltlk?

Likes DaveC426913
Algr said:
In your example of people telling stories around a campfire, what you actually have is a framing device for a bunch of stories told in first person. So your characters telling stories can "show" their audience things with their descriptions.
Yeah. Maybe the ghost stories example is too meta because it suggests a story about telling stories.

Some Twilight Zone episodes are very cerebral and intimate, often involving just two characters and a single,
frightening idea.

Anyway, y'all've convinced me not the write it as a play.

Related to Is a play script the right format?

1. What is a play script?

A play script is a written document that outlines the dialogue, stage directions, and other important details for a theatrical performance. It is the format in which a play is written and performed.

2. How is a play script different from a screenplay or novel?

A play script differs from a screenplay in that it is written specifically for the stage, whereas a screenplay is written for film or television. Play scripts also typically have more detailed stage directions and less dialogue compared to screenplays. Novels, on the other hand, are written in prose and are not meant to be performed on stage.

3. Is a play script the best format for all types of plays?

No, a play script may not be the best format for all types of plays. Some plays, such as experimental or interactive plays, may require a different format to effectively convey their unique elements. However, for traditional plays, a play script is the most commonly used and accepted format.

4. What are the benefits of using a play script format?

Using a play script format allows for clear and concise communication between the playwright, director, and actors. It also helps to ensure consistency and accuracy in the performance, as everyone is working from the same document. Additionally, play scripts are easily accessible and widely recognized in the theatrical community.

5. Can a play script be adapted into other formats?

Yes, a play script can be adapted into other formats, such as a screenplay or novel. However, it may require some adjustments and revisions to fit the new format and effectively convey the story and characters. Playwrights may also choose to adapt their own play script into a different format for different mediums.