Is a Ph.D. in Photonics offered by Physics or EEE better for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics student's final year project on a phase-locked laser system and their interest in pursuing a PhD in photonics. They are unsure whether to pursue a PhD in EEE or physics and inquire about the differences between the two divisions. They also mention specific institutes that offer photonics PhD programs.
cks
I'm a physics students and I'm in my Final Year now. The title of my final year project is phase-locked laser system. I have quite some fun playing around with the mirrors, lens and laser stuff.

I'm interested in doing my phd in photonics related area. I'm not sure whether I should go for phd in EEE or physics. However, I am curious are there any difference between the photonics offered by physics division and those offered by EEE?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why not directly do a photonics Ph.D.? The only ones I'm familiar with are Institute of Optics at Rochester and CREOL at Central Florida. I'm pretty sure there's others, as well.

I cannot definitively say which option is better for you as it ultimately depends on your specific interests and career goals. However, I can provide some information that may help you make a decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand that photonics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, engineering, and materials science. Therefore, both a Ph.D. in Physics and a Ph.D. in EEE can provide a strong foundation for a career in photonics.

A Ph.D. in Physics may offer a more theoretical and fundamental understanding of photonics, with a focus on topics such as quantum optics, laser physics, and electromagnetic theory. This may be a good option if you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia.

On the other hand, a Ph.D. in EEE may have a more practical and applied approach, with a focus on topics such as optics and photonics engineering, semiconductor devices, and optical communication systems. This may be a good option if you are interested in a career in industry or technology development.

Ultimately, it is important to research the specific programs and faculty at both the physics and EEE departments at your university to see which aligns more closely with your interests and goals. You may also consider talking to current graduate students or professors in both departments to gain more insight.

Additionally, your final year project on phase-locked laser systems may give you a better understanding of which field you are more interested in and where your strengths lie. This can also be a valuable factor in your decision-making process.

In conclusion, both a Ph.D. in Physics and a Ph.D. in EEE can lead to a successful career in photonics, and it ultimately depends on your individual interests and goals. I encourage you to thoroughly research both options and consider your strengths and interests before making a decision. Good luck!

Related to Is a Ph.D. in Photonics offered by Physics or EEE better for me?

1. What is a phase-locked laser system?

A phase-locked laser system is a type of laser system that utilizes a method called "phase-locking" to stabilize the output of the laser. This means that the phases (or wavelengths) of multiple laser beams are synchronized with each other, resulting in a more coherent and powerful output.

2. How does a phase-locked laser system work?

A phase-locked laser system works by using a feedback loop to continuously adjust the phases of the laser beams. This is done by comparing the phases of the beams to a reference beam and making small adjustments to keep them in sync. This feedback loop ensures that the laser output remains stable and coherent.

3. What are the advantages of using a phase-locked laser system?

Phase-locked laser systems have several advantages, including higher output power, improved beam quality, and increased stability. They are also able to produce more precise and reproducible results, making them useful in applications such as precision measurements and laser machining.

4. What are some common applications of phase-locked laser systems?

Phase-locked laser systems have a wide range of applications, including in telecommunications, spectroscopy, and laser-based manufacturing processes. They are also used in scientific research for experiments that require highly stable and synchronized laser beams.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with phase-locked laser systems?

One potential limitation of phase-locked laser systems is that they require complex and precise feedback control systems. This can make them more expensive and difficult to operate compared to other types of lasers. Additionally, the output power of a phase-locked laser system may be limited by the strength of the feedback loop.