Is a MS in Modelling and Simulation worth anything?

In summary, the speaker is a student at UCF in Orlando, FL who has the opportunity to get their master's degree paid for by the lab they work in. They are considering a Computer Engineering program with an intelligent systems track or a Modelling and Simulation program which offers a diverse range of courses in areas such as Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematical Modelling, and Computer Engineering. They are wondering how a degree in Modelling and Simulation is viewed by big engineering companies and if it would affect their job prospects. They provide a link to a forum thread with more information.
Chubigans
Hello. I am currently a student at UCF in Orlando, FL. Simulation and modelling are big things around here. I have the opportunity to get my master's degree paid for by the lab I work in. I'm not terribly excited to stay here for another two years, but I really don't want to get a master's if I have to pay out of pocket and this seems like a good deal.

I have to make a choice between a Computer Engineering program and a Modelling and Simulation program. The CpE program has an intelligent systems track which I would probably want to focus on (as opposed to Networks, VLSI, or Software Engineering). I am a very mathy type, not so much the design engineer type.

UCF's Modelling and Sim program is very interdisciplinary. The classes look MUCH more diverse and interesting. Basically, the master's degree let's you pick from classes in Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematical Modelling, Computer Engineering, Intelligent systems, and digital media (for physical computing).

Here's a link to some of the courses

These courses get me very excited and I could see myself studying Simulation Infrastructure, Intelligent Systems / Interactive Systems, or Computer Visualization tracks in this context.

My question is, how is a degree like this viewed in the eyes of big engineering companies? It is not a masters in engineering. Can I be hired alongside other engineers? Will companies think twice before hiring someone with a "M.S. in Modelling and Simulation"?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Is a MS in Modelling and Simulation worth anything?

1. What is a MS in Modelling and Simulation?

A MS in Modelling and Simulation is a graduate degree that focuses on the study and application of mathematical and computational models to simulate real-world systems. This degree program combines elements of mathematics, computer science, and engineering to help analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. What are the career prospects for someone with a MS in Modelling and Simulation?

Individuals with a MS in Modelling and Simulation have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as defense, healthcare, finance, and transportation. They can work as data analysts, simulation engineers, systems analysts, or research scientists, among other roles.

3. Is a MS in Modelling and Simulation worth the time and money?

This depends on individual career goals and interests. A MS in Modelling and Simulation can provide valuable skills and knowledge for a variety of industries, and may lead to higher paying job opportunities. However, it is important to carefully consider the cost and potential return on investment for each individual.

4. What skills are developed in a MS in Modelling and Simulation program?

Students in a MS in Modelling and Simulation program develop skills in mathematical modeling, programming, data analysis, and problem-solving. They also gain experience in using software tools and techniques for simulation and visualization.

5. Can a MS in Modelling and Simulation lead to a PhD program?

Yes, a MS in Modelling and Simulation can serve as a solid foundation for pursuing a PhD in a related field. This degree program provides advanced training in mathematical and computational techniques, which can be beneficial for further academic research in areas such as data science, artificial intelligence, or systems engineering.