Is a Minor in CS Worth Taking for a Math/CS Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter shonick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of taking a minor in CS, even though the speaker has already completed their elective courses and would need to take an extra semester to obtain the minor. The general consensus is that minors are not necessary for career success, but can be pursued for personal interest and growth. It is also advised to take classes that genuinely interest the individual rather than pursuing a minor for the sake of a resume.
shonick
I'm really interested in CS major. Unfortunately, I almost finish my EE major. If I take 1 more extra semester to get a minor in CS. Is it worth to do that? I could use CS as elective courses. But I didn't know about it earlier so I did take all 400 level math (4 courses) for my elective course. So, I'm already done with my elective. Right now, If I want to take minor in CS, I have to take extra semester to do so. Is it worth to do it, and if yes, why would you think it is worth it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it worth it to you?

If it's to satisfy your intellectual curiosity or hunger for knowledge, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, it's not something you will not be able to learn down the road.

IMHO, minors are a waste of time.

They might be a waste of time if they are obtained for cosmetic reasons. It never hurts to broaden's one horizons. After all, the purpose of obtaining higher education is to improve oneself intellectually and spiritually.

I majored in physics with a math minor. Would I have gotten the same graduate program without the minor? Yes. Would school have been easier without it? Probably. Would I know as much math? No.

So to echo the other comments, do it if it interests you, not to pretty up your resume.

do your major. take classes that interest you. if you happen to get the class that count as a minor, wonderful. if not, no sweat.

and don't force it.

I had CS as minor and it was easier to find a job with that.

I asked about this (because my major is math/CS and it seemed like the entire world was doing math minors, but I wouldn't be able to fit in any other minor) and they said just take the classes that interest you. They said pretty much what flemmyd said. I heard that most people don't look at what the minor exactly is, and that the actual coursework is what matters.
If you take a math minor, you would learn more math than if you didn't take it, but there's a good chance you'd learn the same amount of math if you took the same number of math courses, but not the ones that necessarily contributed to the minor.

Related to Is a Minor in CS Worth Taking for a Math/CS Major?

1. Is taking a minor beneficial for my career?

Yes, taking a minor can be beneficial for your career in many ways. It can help you develop additional skills and knowledge that can make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for jobs. It can also help you stand out in a specific field or area of study, making you more desirable to employers.

2. Will taking a minor prolong my graduation date?

It depends on the specific requirements of the minor and your academic plan. Some minors require a certain number of credits, which may add to your workload and potentially prolong your graduation date. However, if you plan carefully and take courses that fulfill both major and minor requirements, it is possible to graduate on time with a minor.

3. Can I take a minor in a completely different field of study?

Yes, many universities offer minors in a variety of fields, including ones that are unrelated to your major. This can be a great way to explore a new subject or develop skills in a different area. However, keep in mind that some minors may have prerequisite courses or require a certain GPA, so make sure to check with your academic advisor before pursuing a minor outside of your field.

4. How will taking a minor affect my course load?

It depends on the specific requirements of the minor and your academic plan. Some minors may require a certain number of credits, which may add to your workload. However, if you plan carefully and take courses that fulfill both major and minor requirements, it is possible to balance your course load and successfully complete a minor without overwhelming yourself.

5. Is it worth the extra time and effort to complete a minor?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. If the minor aligns with your career goals and you are passionate about the subject, then it may be worth the extra time and effort. However, if the minor does not directly relate to your career or you are not interested in the subject, it may not be worth the additional workload and time commitment.