Is a 16th Century Copy of Euclid's Elements a Rare Find?

• Thread starter Treadstone 71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, an 18th century book is selling for $50 Canadian, but if it's from the 1700s it's actually from the 18th century.
Treadstone 71
17th Century Copy of "Elements"

I found an actual 16th century (or so the seller claims, but it matches up with what I've read about, i.e., only 6 books translated, plus 11-12. etc.) copy of a translation of Euclid's "Elements". I'm very tempted to buy it, but I want to know if it's rare. This is as a collection item only, as I realize that mathematically it really makes no difference whether I have this copy of Dover's recent edition (which I do).

*EDIT* Typo, 16th century.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends how much you are paying.

May I ask how much?

rare? HA! I've got 6 copies myself.
I'm sorry I lied to make myself look impressive. I don't have 6 copies only 4.
Okay I don't have any copies. I've never had any copies and the oldest book I've ever owned was a used paperback from 1967.

50$ Canadian.

Dont buy it...a book from the 1500's for 50 bucks? Smells very wrong.

Actually it's from the 1700's. It does smell wrong, in many ways.

That's pretty cheap.

Sounds like a reprint.

The 1825 printed editions are selling for $250-$300.

What information do you have from this book?

a 16th century book from the 1700s, that is extremely rare.

All 16th century books came to us from the 1700s.

rachmaninoff said:
All 16th century books came to us from the 1700s.
They did? What about the ones from the 1500's? :wink:

They sat idly in the 1700's for over almost a hundred years.

all 16th century century books came through the 1700s but they were 200 years old when they were there.

A real rarity would be a book from the Library of Alexandria.

I wouldn't want to be the student who forget to return it!

truthfully though. If this sounds like a steal it can only be one of three things a treasure, a fraud or a stolen book. two out of three choices are bad for you. If you knew anything about old books you might be able to make an intelligent choice but you don't.
All that being said $50 bucks is two hours worth of work, I screwed around longer than that today. Wait, $50 Canadian, make that one hours work. Go for it.

Wait a minute, if it's from the 1700's, then it's actually from the 18th century... or the other way around.

God damn it, I hate history and the calendar.

Treadstone 71 said:
Wait a minute, if it's from the 1700's, then it's actually from the 18th century... or the other way around.

God damn it, I hate history and the calendar.
Welcome to the 19th century

tribdog said:
Welcome to the 19th century

I'm going to celebrate like it's 999.

Related to Is a 16th Century Copy of Euclid's Elements a Rare Find?

1. What is the "17th Century Copy of Elements"?

The "17th Century Copy of Elements" is a manuscript that contains a copy of the famous mathematical and geometric treatise "Elements" written by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid. It was created during the 17th century and is considered a valuable historical document.

2. Who wrote the "Elements" and why is it important?

The "Elements" was written by Euclid, also known as the "Father of Geometry". It is one of the most influential and widely used mathematical texts in history, covering topics such as geometry, number theory, and proportion. Its importance lies in its logical structure and rigorous proofs, which have influenced the development of mathematics for centuries.

3. How was the "17th Century Copy of Elements" created?

The "17th Century Copy of Elements" was most likely created by hand, as printing technology was not widely available during the 17th century. It may have been created by a scribe or a team of scribes who carefully copied the text from an existing manuscript or from a printed version of the "Elements".

4. What makes the "17th Century Copy of Elements" unique?

The "17th Century Copy of Elements" is unique because it provides insights into the way the "Elements" was studied and transmitted during the 17th century. It may contain annotations or illustrations from previous readers, providing a glimpse into how the text was interpreted and used. It also serves as a physical artifact that represents the historical and cultural context in which it was created.

5. Is the "17th Century Copy of Elements" still relevant today?

Yes, the "17th Century Copy of Elements" is still relevant today as a historical document. It provides a unique perspective on the development and dissemination of mathematical knowledge during the 17th century and serves as a reminder of the lasting impact of Euclid's "Elements" on the field of mathematics. However, it may not be as practical or widely used as modern textbooks and resources for studying geometry and mathematics.