Is a 1-2T electromagnet smaller than 2 cm by 1 cm possible?

• Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a small, non-superconducting electromagnet with a field of 1-2T. The participants agree that it is unlikely to find such a magnet and suggest using rare-earth permanent magnets instead, which can reach 1T at the pole face but have a rapid decrease in field strength with distance. The use of multiple magnets is also proposed but deemed unlikely to work effectively.
Beer-monster
Does anyone know if its commericially possible to get a 1-2T electromagnet (no superconductors) but one that's very small i.e. no wider than 2 cm and no taller than 1 cm (with the field in z)?

It seems doubtful but I'm not sure where to look, google isn't helping much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi beer. I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to magnetic fields, but what I do know is that MRI magnets run between 1 and 3 Tesla. The coils are about 3 feet in diameter and about 4 feet long, consisting of superconducting windings such that the thickness of all these windings is on the order of 2 to 6 inches. They then run a few hundreds of amps through these windings which are immersed in liquid helium to make them superconducting. That's a lot of mass and energy to produce 1 to 3 T, so to suggest you might get 1 or 2 T out of something as small as you're suggesting seems totally unreasonable.

No chance. A rare-earth permanent magnet of that size, however, would have about 1T right at the pole face. The field would fall off rapidly with distance.

Yeah I guessed it would be impossible, just needed to know for sure.

I looked into Nd magnets, but the small ones I found were over 1T but only in circuit. In practise they were more like 0.2 T. Don't suppose anyone knows of ones stronger?

I doubt piling them on top of each other would work? ^_-

Related to Is a 1-2T electromagnet smaller than 2 cm by 1 cm possible?

1. What makes a small magnet powerful?

The strength of a magnet is determined by its magnetic field, which is created by the alignment of its magnetic domains. In smaller magnets, the magnetic domains are closer together, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

2. How small can a powerful magnet be?

The size of a powerful magnet depends on the material it is made of and how it is magnetized. Some materials, such as rare earth magnets, can retain their strength even when made into small sizes, while others may lose their strength when made too small.

3. Are small magnets safe to use?

Small magnets can be safe to use, but caution should always be taken. They can pose a choking hazard if swallowed, and should be kept away from electronic devices and pacemakers. It is important to follow safety guidelines when handling small magnets.

4. What are some common uses for small but powerful magnets?

Small but powerful magnets have a wide range of uses, including in electronics, medical devices, and industrial applications. They are also commonly used in household items, such as refrigerator magnets and magnetic clips.

5. How can I increase the power of a small magnet?

The power of a magnet is determined by its material and size, so it is not possible to increase its power. However, you can increase its magnetic field by stacking multiple magnets together, with their poles aligned, to create a stronger overall magnetic field.