Is $17-$18 an Hour Enough for a Chemistry Graduate with Research Experience?

• Thread starter thewall12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a BSc in Chemistry and some academic research experience, but no industrial experience. They are seeking Chem I/Lab Tech jobs and plan to request a salary between $17 and $18 an hour. However, it is likely that this is too high and they should research the market salaries for similar positions. It is also recommended to avoid mentioning salary until an offer is given and to consider factors such as location, company, and competition. Additionally, taxes should be taken into account when considering a salary.
thewall12
I'm graduating with a BSc in Chemistry and I've got a couple years academic research experience but no industrial. I'm applying for a lot of Chem I/Lab Tech jobs and I'm planning on requesting between $17 and $18 an hour. Is this too much/too little?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably too much. Depends on how good you are, where you are applying, what you'll be doing, where the area is, the type of company, the type of competition... etc etc etc.

I have no actual facts, but I really hope that $34-36K per year isn't considered too much.

Don't mention anything about salary until they give you an offer with a number. If they ask how much you want, say "negotiable" or "I would consider any serious offer that you make." Also, go to a site like glassdoor.com or salary.com and look at what salaries the market offers for those types of position. For a chemist I position, sounds like what you're asking might be at the lower end of the range. But as zhermes said, there are a lot of factors to consider.

As quoted by Dr. Evil.. A million dollars

and remember, you also need to consider taxes.

Related to Is $17-$18 an Hour Enough for a Chemistry Graduate with Research Experience?

1. What factors should I consider when determining the salary I should ask for?

When determining the salary you should ask for, you should consider several factors including your experience, education, skills, the industry and location of the job, and the company's budget. You should also research the average salary for similar positions in your area to get an idea of the market rate.

2. Should I disclose my previous salary when negotiating for a new job?

It is not necessary to disclose your previous salary when negotiating for a new job. You can highlight your skills, experience, and achievements to justify the salary you are asking for. However, some employers may ask for your previous salary as part of their hiring process.

3. How do I know if the salary offer is fair?

To determine if the salary offer is fair, you can research the average salary for similar positions in your area. You can also consider the cost of living in the location of the job and the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Additionally, you can consult with a mentor or a professional in your field for their opinion.

4. Is it appropriate to negotiate for a higher salary?

Yes, it is appropriate to negotiate for a higher salary if you feel that the initial offer is not in line with your experience and skills. However, it is important to do so professionally and provide justification for the salary you are asking for.

5. When is the best time to discuss salary during the hiring process?

The best time to discuss salary during the hiring process is after you have received a job offer. This shows that the employer is interested in hiring you and gives you more leverage to negotiate for a higher salary. It is not recommended to bring up salary during the initial stages of the interview process.