Is 1 Really Equal to 0? An Amazing Discovery!

• Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary, earlier today, a user claimed to have proved that 1=0. Other users in the conversation asked for details of the proof, but the user stated it may take a while. The user also mentioned having previously proven that 2=2. The conversation then shifted to discussing the concept of zero factorial and the use of the Bohr-Mollerup Theorem in proving that the gamma function is the unique analytic continuation of the factorial to the complex plane. In the end, it was confirmed that 0! = 1.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Earlier today, I proved 1=0!

Think about it... it kind of tickles the brain in a weird way

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you going to post how you did it? I'd like to see.

quasar987 said:

The irony is about waist-high in this thread.

- Warren

Yes, but can you prove that 2 + 2 [itex] \neq [/itex] 4!

chroot,

I can't see it. o_O

quasar987 said:

I used a well-known, yet under-appreciated, definition.

mattmns, I'm working on it, but it may take a while.

But I have shown 2=2!

I meant, are you going to post the details of the proof.

Zero factorial?

1=0! by definition.

Office_Shredder said:
But I have shown 2=2!

2=2! by definition too.

Like Mickey said, are you saying 'zero factorial' or are you screaming 'ZERO' at the top of your lungs?

Last edited:
The Bohr-Mollerup Theorem could be used to show that the gamma function is the unique analytic continuation of the factorial to the complex plane less the non-positive integers that is log-convex and assumes real values for real arguements... and show that [tex]\Gamma (1) = 0! =1[/tex], but that might be kinda lame...

Mickey said:
Zero factorial?

We have a winner! (<--- that's an exclamation mark, not a factorial).

It had been possible that an inconsistency in mathematics was discovered. How disappointing.

Yay. Bring on the cute math babes. o:)

Related to Is 1 Really Equal to 0? An Amazing Discovery!

What is the "Amazing discovery"?

The "Amazing discovery" refers to a breakthrough or significant finding in the scientific field that has the potential to impact our understanding of the world or improve our lives.

Who made the "Amazing discovery"?

The "Amazing discovery" is typically made by a team of scientists or researchers who have conducted extensive experiments and analysis to arrive at their findings.

What makes the "Amazing discovery" significant?

The "Amazing discovery" is significant because it either solves a long-standing problem or mystery, challenges existing theories, or has practical applications that can benefit society.

How was the "Amazing discovery" made?

The "Amazing discovery" is usually made through a combination of observation, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists may use specialized equipment or techniques to gather data and draw conclusions.

What is the potential impact of the "Amazing discovery"?

The potential impact of the "Amazing discovery" can vary depending on the nature of the discovery. It may lead to further research and advancements in the scientific field, new technologies or treatments, or a better understanding of our world and how it works.