Investigating Air Flow from a Fan: Vortex, Equations & Airfoils

In summary, the airflow from a fan in a physics class can be described as a vortex shape behind the fan, but can be straightened using airfoils to eliminate swirl and reduce noise and turbulence. This is achieved through special blade designs or the addition of stator blades. The rotational flow from the fan blades can be reduced by airfoils and ducts, but will eventually dissipate due to shear forces.
lucy_b14
I am doing an investigation into the air flow from a fan in my physics class. I need to know why the reason why air flows in a vortex shape from the fan (in physics terms), and what equations I can investigate (anything, e.g thrust etc).
Also, I believe the airflow from a fan can be straightened using airfoils. Could anyone tell me how this works?

Thanks! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean behind or beyond the fan? The flow behind the fan is not necessary vortex shaped. One can lay out a blade design such that the air swirl is eliminated. Upstream the fan, the flow starts to be vortex shaped due to the proper rotation of the blades. But the very small dynamic viscosity of the air makes almost imperceptible that shape.

With the airfoils maybe you are referring to the special design I mentioned above in order to eliminate swirl. The swirl behind a fan enhances noise and turbulence. So that, designers usually employ some special configurations of the blades or add stator blades (airfoils as you named) to deflect into a straight flow the stream. Try to consult some book of Turbomachinery, where you will see the blade schemes for swirl elimination.

The fan blades are rotating and due to friction with the air, they will impart a rotational component to the flow, as well as an axial flow parallel to the axis of rotation. Think of momentum transfer.

Airfoils and ducts can reduce rotational flow, but as the air leaves the fan, the rotational flow will interact with the static air around it and the rotational flow will dissipate. Think of shear forces.

Related to Investigating Air Flow from a Fan: Vortex, Equations & Airfoils

1. What is a vortex and how does it affect air flow from a fan?

A vortex is a swirling motion of a fluid or gas. In the context of investigating air flow from a fan, a vortex can be created by the rotation of the fan blades. This vortex can help increase the velocity and direction of the air flow, resulting in a stronger and more focused stream of air.

2. What are the important equations to consider when studying air flow from a fan?

The most important equations to consider are Bernoulli's equation, which describes the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure, and the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid must remain constant. These equations can be used to calculate the velocity and pressure of the air flow from a fan.

3. How do airfoils play a role in air flow from a fan?

Airfoils are shaped surfaces that are designed to generate lift or reduce drag in a fluid, such as air. In the case of a fan, airfoils are used as the blades of the fan to help create a vortex and direct the flow of air in a specific direction. The shape and angle of the airfoils can greatly impact the performance and efficiency of the fan.

4. What factors can affect the air flow from a fan?

There are several factors that can affect the air flow from a fan, including the fan speed, blade shape and angle, air density, and any obstructions in the airflow path. These factors can impact the strength, direction, and stability of the air flow.

5. How can the study of air flow from a fan be applied in real-world situations?

The study of air flow from a fan has many practical applications, such as in the design and development of efficient and effective cooling systems, wind turbines, and aircraft engines. Understanding the principles of air flow and how to manipulate it can also help improve the performance and energy efficiency of various mechanical systems.