Investigating a Light Reflection Experiment

In summary: This experiment helps to demonstrate the principles of total internal reflection and critical angle. In summary, the experiment involves using a large beaker of water covered with construction paper, with a rectangular opening to allow light to enter. Inside the beaker, an Erlenmeyer flask is filled with marbles and water, and is placed inside the beaker. When looking from the top, the marbles cannot be seen, but when an object is placed outside the rectangular paper, it can be seen on the flask due to total internal reflection. The critical angle plays a role in determining the angle at which light can escape the flask, and this experiment helps to demonstrate these concepts.
Mene
I'm doing an response on a little experiment done in class. I'm having trouble understanding some parts. If someone could reply to the information below, it would really be appreciated.

A large beaker is filled with water, it is covered on the outside by construction paper (any coulour you like!) except the constrution paper has a rentangular opening cut out around the bottom of the beaker to allow light to neter. A Erlenmeyer flask is filled with marbles and water is added to top the flask. The flask is shut with a stopper and placed into the large beaker (the water in the large beaker covers the flask). When looking at the beaker from up top the marbles in the flask can not be seen. If i am to place an object (like my finger) out side, infront of the rectangular paper, it can be seen on the flask. If any clarification is need please ask, I would appreciate it if I can get a reply by sunday night!

P.S. My knowledge only goes as far Total Internal Reflection and Critical Angle. I know that the angle at which the the light is reflected back to the eye is due to partial reflection and the incident angle being greater then the critical angle. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
In this experiment, total internal reflection is occurring. The light comes in through the rectangular opening and is reflected off of the water inside the beaker. This causes the light to be refracted inside the flask, which has a higher refractive index than the air outside the beaker, so that the light is reflected back out of the flask and can be seen by the observer. The angle at which this happens is known as the critical angle, which is determined by the difference in the refractive indices of the two materials (in this case, air and water). If the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, then the light is totally internally reflected and cannot escape the flask. Thus, when you put your finger in front of the rectangular paper, it can be seen on the flask because the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, allowing the light to escape the flask.

Related to Investigating a Light Reflection Experiment

1. How do you set up an experiment to investigate light reflection?

The first step in setting up an experiment to investigate light reflection is to gather all necessary materials, including a light source, a reflective surface, and a measuring tool. Next, position the light source and reflective surface at a fixed distance apart. Then, use the measuring tool to determine the angle of incidence and angle of reflection.

2. What factors affect the amount of light reflected in an experiment?

The amount of light reflected in an experiment can be influenced by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the surface material, and the intensity of the light source. The angle of incidence is particularly important, as the angle of reflection will be equal to it. Additionally, smooth and shiny surfaces tend to reflect more light than rough and dull surfaces.

3. How can you measure the intensity of reflected light in an experiment?

The intensity of reflected light can be measured using a light meter or a lux meter. These devices measure the amount of light that is reaching a specific point on the reflective surface. The higher the reading on the meter, the more intense the reflected light is.

4. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection occurs when light reflects off of a smooth and shiny surface at the same angle it was incident on the surface. This results in a clear and focused reflection. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when light reflects off of a rough and dull surface in many different directions. This results in a scattered and less focused reflection.

5. How can the results of a light reflection experiment be applied in real-life scenarios?

The principles of light reflection are utilized in various real-life scenarios, such as in the design of reflective surfaces for safety gear and road signs. Additionally, understanding light reflection can also help in the development of more efficient lighting systems and reflective coatings for mirrors and windows.