Inverting Laplace Transform: Y to f - Explained Steps

In summary, the conversation discusses a question and its solution regarding the inverse Laplace transform. The person is confused about a step in the solution and asks for clarification. The solution is provided, showing the steps to obtain the inverse transform in the form of different Laplace transforms. The person is then thankful for the explanation.
adamwitt
Ok, so I have uploaded/attached the question and the solution. I just need help understanding the solution please. I understand how to calculate the initial inverse transform, but I included it as the reference to the second part of the question regarding the y'' + 4y' = H(t-3)

Can someone please explain the full steps to invert the laplace transform Y to f, like the solution shows in the last step?
I have got to the following point, but I think I may be forgetting some Laplace Transform identities needed to make my life easier?

I can split the equation into parts where I recognise a few Laplace Transforms but not sure about the rest, cheers...

Y(s) = (1/s).e-3s.[1/(s2+22)] + [s/(s2+22)] - [2/s2+22]I recognise a few inverse laplace transforms there but without adding my confusion to the mess can someone please clarify how they got the answer? many thanks in advance.
hopefully I didnt make this post toooo convoluted with my thoughts!

Attachments

• laplace transforms.png
    laplace transforms.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U are confused because they have skipped a step.

I bet u must have recognised this part: [s/(s2+22)] - [2/s2+22]

For this part: (1/s).e-3s.[1/(s2+22)] :
(1/(s(s²+2²)))
=(1/4)((1/s)-(s/(s²+2²)))
=(1/4)(H(t-3)-cos(2(t-3)))

icystrike said:
U are confused because they have skipped a step.

I bet u must have recognised this part: [s/(s2+22)] - [2/s2+22]

For this part: (1/s).e-3s.[1/(s2+22)] :
(1/(s(s²+2²)))
=(1/4)((1/s)-(s/(s²+2²)))
=(1/4)(H(t-3)-cos(2(t-3)))

How did you get rid of the e^(-3s) ?

thanks for helping.

You are most welcome adam :)

[tex]L^{-1}(e^{-cs}F(s))=f(t-c)[/tex]
Given :
[tex] L^{-1}(F(s))=f(t) [/tex]

:smile:

Related to Inverting Laplace Transform: Y to f - Explained Steps

1. What is an Inverting Laplace Transform?

The Inverting Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function Y(s) in the complex frequency domain and transforms it into a function f(t) in the time domain. It is the inverse of the Laplace Transform and is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How is the Inverting Laplace Transform performed?

The Inverting Laplace Transform is performed using a set of mathematical equations known as the Bromwich integral, which involves complex numbers and integration. It can also be performed using tables of Laplace Transform pairs or with the help of software programs such as MATLAB.

3. What are the steps involved in performing the Inverting Laplace Transform?

The steps involved in performing the Inverting Laplace Transform include first determining the function Y(s) in the complex frequency domain, then applying the Bromwich integral to solve for the function f(t) in the time domain. This may involve using partial fraction decomposition, inverse Laplace Transform tables, or other methods depending on the complexity of the function.

4. What are the applications of the Inverting Laplace Transform?

The Inverting Laplace Transform has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze electrical circuits, and study systems with time-dependent behavior. It is also used in control systems, signal processing, and in the study of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations of the Inverting Laplace Transform?

The Inverting Laplace Transform has some limitations, including the fact that it cannot be used on functions that do not have a Laplace Transform. It also cannot be used to solve differential equations with variable coefficients. Additionally, the process of finding the inverse transform can be time-consuming and complex for certain functions.