Invertible Elements in Zn and Factoring over Z[i]

In summary, the student is asking for help understanding notation for the integer ring, and wants to know how to factor 5 + i over Z[i].
Yapper

Homework Statement

Can someone explain the notation of the integer ring(Z)? My friend's in Math 100 and has questions on Z. I have never heard of ring's before and I'm at a loss to help him. From what I've gathered Z is a set of all integers. They ask for the invertible elements in different Zn like Z1 Zi Z101 if someone could explain how to identify invertible elements in the different Zn would be great.

They also ask him to "Factor 5 + i over Z."

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to look up rings, but I don't understand how you would factor a number over a set especially when it has an imaginary in there, haven't really worked with them that much. No text for the class and no explanation from the instructor.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nice of you to try and help your friend. But since he's taking the course maybe you should ask him to explain some of this stuff to you. Z(n) is the set of integer mod n. x has an inverse if there is a number y such that x*y=1 mod n. It has a fair amount to do with whether the gcd(x,n) is 1 or not. Z is the integers extended by the imaginary unit, i. I.e. all numbers of the form n+mi with n and m integers. Does (5+i) equal a product of two of those numbers in a nontrivial way?

Last edited:
thanks, and he says his teacher didn't explain it to him at all so that's why I'm doing this for him.

If you could clarify, what does mod n mean? And how would he go about factoring 5 + i over Z? would it just be 5?

Last edited:
What he's really saying is that he didn't pay attention while his teacher explained it. Can he at least bother to read the textbook?

Maybe your friend could post his questions directly here or loan you his textbook so you can look these things up? If not there are other sources of definitions besides here. Try looking up 'modular arithmetic' for the first topic and 'gaussian integers' for the second.

wow do you guys read, this is a math 100 course at a ****ty university, you automatically assume that the teacher is perfect, and there is no textbook for the 2nd time, but thanks for the topics of research dick i have a starting point

Related to Invertible Elements in Zn and Factoring over Z[i]

1. What is an integer ring?

An integer ring is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of integers closed under addition and multiplication operations. This means that when two integers are added or multiplied together, the result will also be an integer within the set.

2. How is Math 100 related to integer rings?

Math 100 is a course that covers the fundamentals of abstract algebra, including topics such as integer rings. In this course, students will learn about the properties and operations of integer rings and how they can be applied to other mathematical concepts.

3. What are some examples of integer rings?

Some common examples of integer rings include the set of all integers, the set of even integers, and the set of odd integers. These sets are closed under addition and multiplication, making them integer rings.

4. What are the main properties of an integer ring?

The main properties of an integer ring include closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, commutativity, and the existence of an identity element (0 for addition, 1 for multiplication). Additionally, integer rings follow the distributive property.

5. How can integer rings be used in real-world applications?

Integer rings have many practical applications, such as in coding and cryptography. They can also be used in number theory, abstract algebra, and other areas of mathematics. In coding, integer rings are used to create error-correcting codes, while in cryptography, they are used to generate public and private keys for secure communication.