Inverse trigonometric functions

In summary, the conversation was about finding the value of $\arccos(\cos\frac{4\pi}{3})$ and correcting a mistake in the reasoning process. The correct answer is $\frac{2\pi}{3}$.
Guest2
What's $1. ~ \displaystyle \arccos(\cos\frac{4\pi}{3})?$ Is this correct?

The range is $[0, \pi]$ so I need to write $\cos\frac{4\pi}{3}$ as $\cos{t}$ where $t$ is in $[0, \pi]$

$\cos(\frac{4\pi}{3}) = \cos(2\pi-\frac{3\pi}{3}) = \cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}) $ so the answer is $\frac{2\pi}{3}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's an error in your last line.

Using symmetry,

$\cos\dfrac{4\pi}{3}=\cos\left(\pi-\dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)=\cos\dfrac{2\pi}{3}$

greg1313 said:
There's an error in your last line.

Using symmetry,

$\cos\dfrac{4\pi}{3}=\cos\left(\pi-\dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)=\cos\dfrac{2\pi}{3}$

Thanks. My reasoning was that cosine has a period $2\pi$. Where have I messed up?

Guest said:
What's $1. ~ \displaystyle \arccos(\cos\frac{4\pi}{3})?$ Is this correct?

The range is $[0, \pi]$ so I need to write $\cos\frac{4\pi}{3}$ as $\cos{t}$ where $t$ is in $[0, \pi]$

$\cos(\frac{4\pi}{3}) = \cos(2\pi-\frac{3\pi}{3}) = \cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}) $ so the answer is $\frac{2\pi}{3}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \arccos{ \left[ \cos{ \left( \frac{4\,\pi}{3} \right) } \right] } &= \arccos{ \left[ \cos{ \left( \pi + \frac{\pi}{3} \right) } \right] } \\ &= \arccos{ \left[ -\cos{ \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) } \right] } \\ &= \arccos{ \left( -\frac{1}{2} \right) } \\ &= \pi - \arccos{ \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) } \\ &= \pi - \frac{\pi}{3} \\ &= \frac{2\,\pi}{3} \end{align*}$

Guest said:
My reasoning was that cosine has a period $2\pi$. Where have I messed up?

You typed a '3' where you probably intended a '4'.

Related to Inverse trigonometric functions

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to find the angle or side lengths of a right triangle given the ratios of its sides. They are the inverse operations of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant).

2. Why are inverse trigonometric functions important?

Inverse trigonometric functions are important because they allow us to solve problems involving right triangles and trigonometric ratios. They are also used in calculus and other advanced mathematics.

3. What are the common inverse trigonometric functions?

The common inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), arctangent (tan-1), arccotangent (cot-1), arcsecant (sec-1), and arccosecant (csc-1).

4. How do you find the value of an inverse trigonometric function?

To find the value of an inverse trigonometric function, you can use a calculator or table of values. If using a calculator, make sure it is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and use the corresponding inverse trigonometric function key. If using a table of values, look up the value of the inverse trigonometric function for the given ratio.

5. What are the domains and ranges of inverse trigonometric functions?

The domains of inverse trigonometric functions are restricted to specific intervals in order to make them one-to-one functions. The ranges of inverse trigonometric functions depend on the corresponding trigonometric function, but they are usually restricted to either the interval [-π/2, π/2] or [0, π].