Inverse trig functions with tan-1

In summary: So sin(y)=sqrt(1-cos^2(y)). Substitute in the value for cos(y) and simplify to get the final answer: In summary, the simplified expression for sin(tan-1(x)) is x/sqrt(1+x^2).
mickellowery

Homework Statement

sin(tan-1(x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y=tan-1(x)
tan(y)=x
sec2(y)= 1+tan2(y)
sec(y)=[tex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex]
This is where I'm getting stuck. I know that I have to say that the sin(y)= whatever, but I'm not sure how to tie the sin sec and tan together. Is there a trig identity or should I make tan= [tex]\frac{sin}{cos}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to do here? Are you trying to differentiate the first expression? It's not clear.

mickellowery said:

Homework Statement

sin(tan-1(x))

Homework Equations

y=tan-1(x)
tan(y)=x
sec2(y)= 1+tan2(y)
Draw a right triangle, labelled according to y = tan-1(x) or equivalently, tan(y) = x/1. One acute angle should be labelled y. The side opposite should be labelled x and the side adjacent should be labelled 1. From this you can figure out the hypotenuse.

What then is sin(y)?

mickellowery said:
This is where I'm getting stuck. I know that I have to say that the sin(y)= whatever, but I'm not sure how to tie the sin sec and tan together. Is there a trig identity or should I make tan= [tex]\frac{sin}{cos}[/tex]?

Sorry, the problem says to simplify the expression. The final answer is supposed to be [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]

mickellowery said:

Homework Statement

sin(tan-1(x))

Homework Equations

y=tan-1(x)
tan(y)=x
sec2(y)= 1+tan2(y)

sec(y)=1/cos(y). So you've got cos(y)=1/sqrt(1+x^2). To get sin(y) use sin^2(y)=1-cos^2(y).

Related to Inverse trig functions with tan-1

1. What is the definition of tan-1?

Tan-1, also known as arctan or inverse tangent, is an inverse trigonometric function that gives the angle whose tangent is a given number.

2. How do you solve for tan-1?

To solve for tan-1, you must use a scientific calculator or refer to a trigonometric table. Simply enter the value or ratio of the tangent and press the "tan-1" button to get the angle in radians or degrees.

3. What is the range of tan-1?

The range of tan-1 is from -π/2 to π/2 radians or -90° to 90°. This means that the output of tan-1 will always be within this range, regardless of the input value.

4. How is tan-1 related to other inverse trig functions?

Tan-1 is the inverse function of the tangent function. It is also closely related to the other inverse trig functions, such as sin-1 (inverse sine) and cos-1 (inverse cosine). Together, these functions are used to solve various types of trigonometric equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of tan-1?

Tan-1 can be used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the angle of elevation or depression of an object, or to determine the direction of a vector in 3D space. It is also useful in solving problems involving right triangles, such as finding the height of a building using the angle of elevation and the distance from the building.