Inverse tangent function in real and complex domain

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question with multiple parts, and the individual has been able to solve the first part using the formula tan(z)=i(1-e^(2iz))/(1+e^(2iz)). They are now seeking guidance on how to approach the next two parts, and a suggestion is given to use the alternate formula arctan(z)=i/2log(i+z)/(i-z) and work through the problem using that.
bluecode

Homework Statement

See attached file.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only been able to do part (a) of this question.
I ended up with:
[tex]
tanz= i ({\frac{1-e^{(2iz)}}{1+e^{(2iz)}}})
[/tex]
I'm not sure how to approach the next two parts. If anyone could give me any pointers, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

Attachments

• Question 4.png
    Question 4.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
bluecode said:

Homework Statement

See attached file.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only been able to do part (a) of this question.
I ended up with:
[tex]
tanz= i ({\frac{1-e^{(2iz)}}{1+e^{(2iz)}}})
[/tex]
I'm not sure how to approach the next two parts. If anyone could give me any pointers, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

Why not just for starters approach it formally, get the answer, then justify what you did. I'll use the alternate formula:

[tex]\arctan(z)=i/2\log \frac{i+z}{i-z}[/tex]
and you have:
[tex]tan(w)=i\left(\frac{1-e^{2iw}}{1+e^{2iw}}\right)[/tex]
ok then, how about if I let:
[tex]w=i/2\log\frac{i+z}{i-z}[/tex]
then can you not just muscle-through:
[tex]\tan(w)=\tan\left(i/2\log\frac{i+z}{i-z}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Inverse tangent function in real and complex domain

What is the inverse tangent function?

The inverse tangent function, also known as arctangent or tan-1, is a mathematical function that gives the angle whose tangent is a given number. In other words, it is the inverse function of the tangent function.

What is the domain of the inverse tangent function in the real domain?

The domain of the inverse tangent function in the real domain is all real numbers, except for the values where the tangent function is undefined, such as at the vertical asymptotes of the tangent graph.

What is the range of the inverse tangent function in the real domain?

The range of the inverse tangent function in the real domain is from 2 to π2, or from -90 degrees to 90 degrees. This is because the tangent function has a period of π, and the inverse tangent function only takes values within one period.

What is the domain of the inverse tangent function in the complex domain?

The domain of the inverse tangent function in the complex domain is the entire complex plane, including the imaginary numbers. This is because the tangent function is defined for all complex numbers.

What is the principal value of the inverse tangent function in the complex domain?

The principal value of the inverse tangent function in the complex domain is the value that lies within the range of 2 to π2. This is the same as the range in the real domain. However, in the complex domain, there are infinitely many possible values for the inverse tangent function, so the principal value is typically chosen based on certain conventions or specific contexts.