Inverse relationship between radius and resistance

In summary, a resistance experiment was conducted using resistance putty and a multimeter, with varying radii and constant length. According to physics theory, resistance is inversely proportional to cross-sectional area, but the results did not follow this pattern. A curve fit showed a decrease in resistance with radius to the power of 1.2, indicating lower sensitivity than expected. The cause of this discrepancy remains unknown, and further consideration of experimental error and assumptions about the system may be necessary.
Navras

Homework Statement

We did an experiment using resistance putty and a multimeter. We changed the radius of the putty but kept the length the same. We recorded the resistances at different radius'. I know that physics theory says that resistance is inversely proportional to cross-sectional area of wire. For example, if the radius doubles, the cross sectional area increases four times and the resistance decreases by four times.

Homework Equations

radius (m) resistance (Ω)
0.0015 601
0.003 270
0.0075 72.4
0.0115 50
0.015 43

The Attempt at a Solution

However my results don't follow the theory at all. the resistance decreases by closer to 2 or 3 times when the radius doubles.

I'm kind of stumped by this. Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Every experimental result has an error. What is the uncertainty in your measurement of the radius? How precisely were you able to control the length? What do you think the error in this was? Are these errors able to account for the discrepancy?

P.S. the plural of radius is radii

Navras said:

Homework Statement

We did an experiment using resistance putty and a multimeter. We changed the radius of the putty but kept the length the same. We recorded the resistances at different radius'. I know that physics theory says that resistance is inversely proportional to cross-sectional area of wire. For example, if the radius doubles, the cross sectional area increases four times and the resistance decreases by four times.

Homework Equations

radius (m) resistance (Ω)
0.0015 601
0.003 270
0.0075 72.4
0.0115 50
0.015 43

The Attempt at a Solution

However my results don't follow the theory at all. the resistance decreases by closer to 2 or 3 times when the radius doubles.

I'm kind of stumped by this. Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction :)

I did a curve fit to the data (using a graphics package), and the resistance decreased with the radius to the ~ 1.2 power. This is much lower sensitivity than to the 2.0 power. So Navras' question still stands: What is the reason for the lower sensitivity?

Chestermiller said:
I did a curve fit to the data (using a graphics package), and the resistance decreased with the radius to the ~ 1.2 power. This is much lower sensitivity than to the 2.0 power. So Navras' question still stands: What is the reason for the lower sensitivity?

How should I know? I was just trying to get him to take experimental error into account, and to determine whether or not it could account for the discrepancy. If it can't, then I don't know what to say other than that our assumptions about the properties of the system must not have been in line with the actual properties.

Thank you for sharing your experiment and results. It is important to keep in mind that while physics theory can provide a general understanding of how certain variables may affect each other, real-world experiments may not always perfectly align with these theoretical predictions. In your case, the inverse relationship between radius and resistance is a well-known concept, but it is also influenced by other factors such as the material and composition of the putty, as well as the precision and accuracy of your measurements.

It is possible that the resistance putty used in your experiment may have some irregularities or variations in its composition, leading to slightly different results from what is expected based on theory. Additionally, the accuracy of your measurements may also play a role in the discrepancies you observed.

To further investigate this, you could try repeating the experiment with different types of resistance putty or using a different measuring device to see if your results remain consistent. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor or other experts in the field to discuss possible explanations for your findings.

Overall, it is important to approach scientific experiments with an open and critical mindset, and to recognize that there may be factors beyond theoretical predictions that can influence the results. Your experiment has provided valuable data that can contribute to a better understanding of the relationship between radius and resistance, and further exploration and analysis can help shed light on any discrepancies.

Related to Inverse relationship between radius and resistance

1. What is the inverse relationship between radius and resistance?

The inverse relationship between radius and resistance states that as the radius of a conductor decreases, the resistance increases, and vice versa. This means that a smaller radius of a conductor will result in more resistance to the flow of electricity.

2. What is the scientific explanation for this relationship?

According to the formula for resistance (R = ρL/A), resistance is directly proportional to the length of the conductor (L) and inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area (A). Since the radius is a measure of the cross-sectional area, a smaller radius will result in a smaller cross-sectional area, leading to an increase in resistance.

3. How does this relationship affect the flow of electricity?

The inverse relationship between radius and resistance affects the flow of electricity by slowing it down. As the resistance increases, the flow of electrons through the conductor is impeded, resulting in a decrease in the current. This can lead to a decrease in the overall efficiency of electrical systems.

4. Is this relationship applicable to all conductors?

Yes, this relationship is applicable to all conductors, including metals, semiconductors, and even gases. However, the degree of the relationship may vary depending on the material and other factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How is this relationship used in practical applications?

The inverse relationship between radius and resistance is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and components. It is also considered in the manufacturing of wires and cables, where a thinner radius is desired to reduce resistance and increase efficiency.