Relationship between changing a wire's diameter and change in temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the development and justification of a hypothesis regarding the relationship between the thickness or diameter of a nichrome wire and the temperature of water it is submerged in over a period of 5 minutes. It is determined that resistance is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire, and Joule's law is used to calculate the change in heat. The conversation also explores the relationship between diameter and temperature change, and how this can be represented graphically.
alanajames

Homework Statement

Hello! I have a problem where I need to develop and justify a hypothesis surrounding the relationship between the thickness (or diameter) of a nichrome wire and the temperature of water that it's submersed in over a time of 5 minutes. (proportionality statement and equations)

Homework Equations

So far, I know that resistance is inversely proportional to cross-sectional area, and therefore:
R ∝ 1/A
R ∝ 1/∏r^2
R ∝ 1/∏(d/2)^2
and because 2 and ∏ are constant
R ∝ 1/d^2 (resistance is inversely proportional to diameter squared) (I think!)

Now, I've also researched Joule's law, which eventuates into:
Heat produced = Pt = VIt = V^2/Rt = I^2Rt

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I'm trying to get a relationship between diameter and ΔT, and I thought, so I have R ∝ 1/d^2, and P = V^2/R where V is a constant so P ∝ 1/R
and since P is the change in heat:
ΔT ∝ 1/RORsince thickness makes resistance go down
and less resistance makes ΔT (somehow)
then is R ∝ ΔT
and substituting so therefore:
ΔT ∝ 1/d

and I don't have much idea how to reason out what the graph will look like/why...

I think I've tied myself in knots... any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to assume the wire is connected to a constant voltage source and I'd also ignore any change in resistance of the wire with temperature.

Therefore your approach is correct..

R ∝ 1/∏(d/2)2
R ∝ 1/d2

Then use..

Power = V2/R

Power = V2 * d2........(1)

If the water is in an insulated container then the energy it contains (E) is given by

E = Specific heat capacity * mass * Δ Temperature

Rearrange to give..

Δ Temperature = E / Specific heat capacity * mass

Then..

E = Power * Time

so

Δ Temperature = Power * Time / Specific heat capacity * mass ...(2)

Put (1) into (2)...

Δ Temperature = V2 * d2 * Time / Specific heat capacity * mass

Voltage, Time, Specific heat capacity and mass are all constant so

Δ Temperature ∝ d2

eg The change in temperature over 5min (not the actual temperature) is proportional to d2

Temperature = Initial Temperature + Δ Temperature

So actual temperature is proportional (but not directly proportional) to d2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportionality_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Relationship between changing a wire's diameter and change in temp

What is the relationship between changing a wire's diameter and change in temperature?

The relationship between changing a wire's diameter and change in temperature is known as thermal resistance. As the diameter of a wire increases, the thermal resistance decreases, resulting in a decrease in temperature. This is because a larger diameter wire has a larger surface area, allowing for better heat dissipation.

How does changing a wire's diameter affect its ability to handle heat?

Changing a wire's diameter directly affects its ability to handle heat. A larger diameter wire can handle more heat because it has a larger surface area for heat to dissipate, while a smaller diameter wire has a smaller surface area and may overheat more easily.

What factors influence the relationship between wire diameter and temperature change?

Several factors can influence the relationship between wire diameter and temperature change. These include the material of the wire, the current flowing through the wire, the ambient temperature, and the length of the wire.

How does changing a wire's diameter affect its electrical resistance?

Changing a wire's diameter also affects its electrical resistance. A larger diameter wire has lower resistance, allowing for better flow of electricity, while a smaller diameter wire has higher resistance, resulting in less flow of electricity.

Is there an ideal diameter for a wire to handle heat and electricity?

There is no one ideal diameter for a wire to handle heat and electricity. The appropriate wire diameter will depend on the specific application and the amount of heat and electricity it needs to handle. Factors such as the material, length, and ambient temperature should also be considered when choosing the appropriate wire diameter.