Inverse of a Piecewise Function

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the inverse of two functions, one with an explicit formula and one without. It was suggested to list the ordered pairs for the function and then reverse them to see a pattern for writing the inverse as a formula. The conversation also touched on determining which branch to take for the inverse of a function by looking at its behavior as x approaches 0.
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of
...{x...x =/= a1,...,an
f(x) = {ai+1...x = ai, i = 1,...,n-1
...{a1...x = an

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I interchanged the variables x and y, but I am very confused as to how to solve for the rest. I don't understand how to find inverses if we aren't given an explicit formula. Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpringPhysics said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of
...{x...x =/= a1,...,an
f(x) = {ai+1...x = ai, i = 1,...,n-1
...{a1...x = an

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I interchanged the variables x and y, but I am very confused as to how to solve for the rest. I don't understand how to find inverses if we aren't given an explicit formula. Can someone help please?

It might help you to just list the ordered pairs for f. Then reverse them all and you should see a way to write f-1 as a formula similar in form to the formula for f(x).

LCKurtz said:
It might help you to just list the ordered pairs for f. Then reverse them all and you should see a way to write f-1 as a formula similar in form to the formula for f(x).

All right. Thanks for your help.

Also, could I ask for help on finding inverses for the following?

f(x) = x + [x] (floor) and f(x) = x/(1-x2) for -1 < x < 1.

For the first function, there is no reversible equation for the floor operator, so could I state the inverse as simply {(x+[x],x) | (x,x+[x]) [tex]\in[/tex] f}?
Would it be possible to state that any x in f be a.b, where a is an integer and b is any real number?
Then
f(x) = a.b + a for a >= 0 and
f(x) = a.b + (a-1) for a < 0.
Then the inverse of f would be given by
f-1(x) = 1/2 (x + 0.b) for x >= 0 and
f-1(x) = 1/2 (x + 1.b - 0.(2b)) for x < 0.

For the second function, I interchanged the variables and obtains:
x(1-y2) = y
0 = xy2 + y - x
Using the quadratic formula, I got
y = (-1 +/- [tex]\sqrt{1+4x^2}[/tex])/2x, -1 < y < 1
How do I know whether to take the positive or negative?

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't take either one. If your calculations are correct, you are saying that this function is NOT one to one and so does NOT have an inverse.

HallsofIvy said:
You shouldn't take either one. If your calculations are correct, you are saying that this function is NOT one to one and so does NOT have an inverse.

I am not sure which function you are referring to, but for the second function, the question asked to determine f-1 (the inverse) for -1 < x < 1. Hence, the function is 1-1 for the specified interval. I am just not sure there is an intuitive reason why the positive root works but not the negative.

The floor function is not 1-1 so it does not have an inverse, but the question is f(x) = x + floor (x), so that the function is 1-1. However, I am not sure how to cleanly express its inverse.

EDIT: Never mind for the floor function. Can someone please explain the first function?

Last edited:
SpringPhysics said:
EDIT: Never mind for the floor function. Can someone please explain the first function?

Are you talking about f(x) = x + [x]?

Try drawing the graph of f-1. You will see that its domain has gaps and the segments of the graph are translates of f(x) = x. Does that help?

LCKurtz said:
Are you talking about f(x) = x + [x]?

Try drawing the graph of f-1. You will see that its domain has gaps and the segments of the graph are translates of f(x) = x. Does that help?

Sorry, I meant f(x) = x/(1-x2)

When you interchanged x and y and solved for y you got:

[tex] y = \frac {-1 \pm \sqrt{1+4x^2}}{2x}[/tex]

One way you can tell you don't want the - choice is what happens as x approaches 0. The branch you want goes through the origin. If you look at

[tex] y = \frac {-1 - \sqrt{1+4x^2}}{2x}[/tex]

as [itex]x\rightarrow 0[/itex] you get a -2/0 form which indicates a vertical asymptote.

On the other hand if you let [itex]x\rightarrow 0[/itex] in

[tex] y = \frac {-1 + \sqrt{1+4x^2}}{2x}[/tex]

you get 0 as you can see if you rationalize the numerator and take the limit.

Another thing that is a bit more work is to observe that with the + choice you get [itex]-1\le y \le 1[/itex], which also tells you you have the right branch.

I see now. Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Inverse of a Piecewise Function

1. What is the definition of an inverse of a piecewise function?

The inverse of a piecewise function is a new function that "undoes" the original function by swapping the input and output values. This means that for every input value of the original function, the inverse function will output the original input value. It is denoted as f-1(x).

2. How do you find the inverse of a piecewise function?

To find the inverse of a piecewise function, you need to follow these steps:

• 1. Write the function in two separate equations for the different intervals.
  • 2. Swap the x and y variables in each equation.
  • 3. Solve for y in each equation.
  • 4. Combine the two equations to form the inverse function.

Note: If the original function is not one-to-one (where each input has a unique output), then the inverse function will not exist.

3. What is the difference between a piecewise function and its inverse?

The main difference between a piecewise function and its inverse is that the piecewise function is defined using different rules for different intervals, while the inverse function is defined using one rule for the entire domain. Additionally, the piecewise function maps inputs to outputs, while the inverse function maps outputs back to the original inputs.

4. How do you graph the inverse of a piecewise function?

To graph the inverse of a piecewise function, you can follow these steps:

• 1. Graph the original function on a coordinate plane.
  • 2. Reflect the graph of the original function over the line y=x. This means that all the points with coordinates (x, y) on the original graph will now have coordinates (y, x) on the inverse graph.
  • 3. If the original function is not one-to-one, then the inverse function will not exist and cannot be graphed.

5. How can inverse piecewise functions be useful in real life?

Inverse piecewise functions can be useful in real life in situations where we need to "undo" a process or find the original input value given an output. For example, in finance, the inverse of a compound interest function can be used to find the initial investment required to reach a certain amount of money. In physics, the inverse of a velocity function can be used to find the time it takes for an object to reach a certain distance. In general, the inverse of a function can help us solve problems and make predictions in various fields.