Inverse matrix using Hotelling Approximation

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding information about Harold Hotelling's method for finding the inverse of a matrix. They have searched for a while but have not found anything related to this specific topic. Another person then provides a link to a resource that may be useful.
Quboid
Hello all,

I am taking a Numeric Methods course this semester and my professor asked us to investigate Harold Hotelling's method( I suppose this would be and approximation) of finding the inverse of a matrix. I have searched for day and have found many cool things linked to Hotteling but nothing to do with finding the inverse of a matrix. Can anyone point me in hte right direction.

Truly grateful. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
that is quite odd. Looks like a nice read. I'll be sure to post any problems. Thanks one million John.

Related to Inverse matrix using Hotelling Approximation

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. It is denoted as A-1, and it only exists for square matrices with a non-zero determinant.

2. What is Hotelling approximation?

Hotelling approximation is a method used for calculating the inverse of a matrix. It involves replacing certain elements in the original matrix with their approximations, which results in a simpler and easier to invert matrix.

3. How does Hotelling approximation work?

Hotelling approximation works by identifying the largest elements in the original matrix and replacing them with their approximations. This reduces the complexity of the matrix and makes it easier to calculate the inverse.

4. When is Hotelling approximation used?

Hotelling approximation is commonly used when the original matrix is large and complex, making it difficult to compute the inverse directly. It is also useful for matrices with a high condition number, as it can improve the accuracy of the inverse.

5. What are the benefits of using Hotelling approximation for inverse matrix?

The main benefit of using Hotelling approximation is that it simplifies the process of calculating the inverse of a matrix, especially for large and complex matrices. It also improves the accuracy of the inverse, making it a useful tool for scientific and engineering applications.