Inverse Logarithmic Differentiation

In summary, Daniel is having some trouble with a couple HW questions. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
antiflag403
Hey everyone,
I'm having some trouble with a couple HW questions. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
1. Find the derivative of:
y=2(arcsin(x^2))
I thought you had to make a u-substition of u=x^2, but it doesn't seem to work out. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be good.
2. Find the derivative of: y=ln(x^7(x+5)^9((x^2)+9)^2)
For this I took the ln of both sides, then tried using the chain rule over and over, but again i didnt get the answer.
If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would be really :smile:
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, u substitution is for integrals. It is the integral equivalent of the chain rule, which is what you should be doing here. Do you know the derivative of arcsin(x)?

For the second, I don't know why you'd take the log of both sides, leaving a nested log on the right side, which only makes things harder. Just expand the log into a sum of the logs of the factors and then appy the chain rule to each term.

By the way, I should point out this thread has a very misleading title. One function is an inverse trig and one is a log, and your differentiating each of them. You aren't differentiating inverse logs (exponents), nor finding the antiderivatives of logs. Just saying.

Last edited:
So your function is

[tex] \ln\left(x^{7(x+5)^{9(x^{2}+9)^{2}}}\right) [/tex]

and u need to differentiate wrt to "x". It's not difficult and indeed you need to use logarithmic differentiation when you have to differentiate the exponent of "x".

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
So your function is
[tex] \ln\left(x^{7(x+5)^{9(x^{2}+9)^{2}}}\right) [/tex]
and u need to differentiate wrt to "x". It's not difficult and indeed you need to use logarithmic differentiation when you have to differentiate the exponent of "x".
Daniel.

No, I believe he said " y=ln(x^7(x+5)^9((x^2)+9)^2)" which, copied directly into TEX, is
[tex] y=ln(x^7(x+5)^9((x^2)+9)^2)[/tex]

That is, of course, the same as
y= 7ln(x)+ 9ln(x+5)+ 2ln(x2+ 9).

Related to Inverse Logarithmic Differentiation

1. What is inverse logarithmic differentiation?

Inverse logarithmic differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is given in logarithmic form. It involves rewriting the logarithmic function as an exponential function and then using the power rule to find the derivative.

2. When is inverse logarithmic differentiation used?

Inverse logarithmic differentiation is commonly used when dealing with exponential growth or decay problems, as well as in applications involving logarithmic functions such as finance, chemistry, and physics.

3. How is inverse logarithmic differentiation different from regular logarithmic differentiation?

Inverse logarithmic differentiation is the reverse process of regular logarithmic differentiation. In regular logarithmic differentiation, the function is given in exponential form and the derivative is found using the logarithmic differentiation rules. In inverse logarithmic differentiation, the function is given in logarithmic form and the derivative is found using the power rule.

4. What are the steps for using inverse logarithmic differentiation?

The steps for using inverse logarithmic differentiation are:
1. Rewrite the logarithmic function as an exponential function.
2. Take the natural logarithm of both sides.
3. Use the power rule to find the derivative of the natural logarithm function.
4. Substitute the original logarithmic function back in for the natural logarithm function.
5. Simplify the derivative if possible.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse logarithmic differentiation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using inverse logarithmic differentiation. It can only be used for logarithmic functions with a single variable. Also, the function must be differentiable at all points in the domain. Additionally, when using the power rule, the base of the logarithmic function must be a positive constant, and the exponent must be a variable.