Inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving a Laplace transform and finding its inverse. The problem involves expanding the function using partial fractions and using known equations to invert the fractions. The final step involves completing the square for the denominator and using a formula to solve for the inverse. The conversation ends with the solution being -7te^-2t.
Exocet

Homework Statement

This is a practice problem for a test on Laplace transforms

Find L^-1[ (9s^3+17s^2+66s+45) / (s^2+9)(s+2)^2 ]

(L^-1 = inverse laplace transform)

Homework Equations

From Laplace transform tables:

L^-1[ 1 / s-α ] = e^αt

L^-1[ s / s^2+ω^2 ] = cos(ωt)

L^-1[ ω / (s-α)^2+ω^2 ] = (e^αt)sin(ωt)

L^-1[ s-α / (s-α)^2+ω^2 ] = (e^αt)cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I expanded the function using partial fractions and found that it is equivalent to:

6/(s+2) - 7/(s+2)^2 + 3s/(s^2+9)

From the first equation above, the first fraction can be inverted to give

6e^-2t

From the second equation, the third fraction can be inverted to give

3cos(3t)

Usually at this point I would invert the second fraction using the two remaining equations above. This involves completing the square for the denominator. However, in this case the denominator is already in completed square form and ω is equal to zero.
I might be missing something blindingly obvious but I haven't got a clue how to solve this problem and I have a test in a few days so any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you invert ##-\frac 7 {s^2}##? Then use if ##\mathcal L^{-1}F(s) = f(t)## then ##\mathcal L^{-1}F(s+a) = e^{-at}f(t)##.

Aha! This definitely looks like it should work... but how do I go about inverting -7 / s^2 ?

Ah, obviously we use L-1[ n! / s^n+1 ] = t^n... so f(t) is -7t which mean F(s-a) = -7te^-2t.

Thanks for the tip in the right direction :)

Related to Inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform with quadratic factors?

An inverse Laplace transform with quadratic factors is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to the time domain. It involves solving for the coefficients of a quadratic equation in order to find the original function.

2. How do you find the inverse Laplace transform of a function with quadratic factors?

To find the inverse Laplace transform of a function with quadratic factors, you need to first factor the quadratic equation into two linear factors. Then, you can use partial fraction decomposition and the Laplace transform table to find the inverse transform.

3. What are the steps for solving an inverse Laplace transform with quadratic factors?

The steps for solving an inverse Laplace transform with quadratic factors are:

• 1. Factor the quadratic equation into two linear factors.
  • 2. Use partial fraction decomposition to rewrite the function in terms of simpler fractions.
  • 3. Use the Laplace transform table to find the inverse transform of each individual term.
  • 4. Combine the terms to get the final inverse Laplace transform.

4. What are the challenges of finding inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors?

One of the main challenges of finding inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors is the need for factoring and partial fraction decomposition, which can be time-consuming and require advanced algebra skills. Additionally, the Laplace transform table may not have all the necessary transforms for more complex functions.

5. How can inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors be applied in real-world situations?

Inverse Laplace transforms with quadratic factors are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and model physical systems. They can also be used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the time domain.