How Do You Select Sigma for Different Regions in Inverse Laplace Transforms?

In summary: But complex exponentials are not real. So as a result, the answer (to the part that you were stuck on, namely ##1/(s^2+4)##) will involve taking linear combinations of the real and imaginary parts of the complex exponential.To see what I mean, look at the following identity:$$e^{i\theta} = \cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta)$$So if you start with an expression that involves a complex exponential, you can rewrite it using trigonometric functions. In the case of the part you were having trouble with, you will need to use both sine and cosine.But you should be able to do that for yourself.Ok, I see now. Thank
roam

Homework Statement

Given the Laplace transform

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)},$$

by using the complex inversion formula compute the inverse Laplace transform, ##f(t),## for the following regions of convergence:

(i) ##Re(s)<-2;##
(ii) ##-2<Re(s)<0;##
(iii) ##Re(s)>0.##

Homework Equations

Inverse Laplace transform relationship:

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{j2\pi} \int^{\sigma + j \infty}_{\sigma-j\infty} F_L (s) \exp(st) \ ds \tag{1}$$

Where ##s=\sigma + j \omega,## and ##\sigma## must be chosen to lie within the region of absolute convergence of ##F_L.##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using equation (1), how do I exactly choose the values of ##\sigma## for each case? I am very confused about this part. :confused:

I tried to solve this without the complex inversion formula (just to see what the solution has to look like). I started out by expanding using partial fractions as:

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)} = \frac{1}{8(s+2)} + \frac{1}{8(s^2 +4)}$$

There is a pole at ##s=-2## due to the first term. The first term has the form ##1/(s-a),## so its transform can be written as ##\frac{1}{8} e^{-2t}.## However I am unable to proceed further because I don't see in Laplace transform tables what the transform of the form ##1/(s^2 +a)## looks like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

Given the Laplace transform

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)},$$

by using the complex inversion formula compute the inverse Laplace transform, ##f(t),## for the following regions of convergence:

(i) ##Re(s)<-2;##
(ii) ##-2<Re(s)<0;##
(iii) ##Re(s)>0.##

Homework Equations

Inverse Laplace transform relationship:

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{j2\pi} \int^{\sigma + j \infty}_{\sigma-j\infty} F_L (s) \exp(st) \ ds \tag{1}$$

Where ##s=\sigma + j \omega,## and ##\sigma## must be chosen to lie within the region of absolute convergence of ##F_L.##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using equation (1), how do I exactly choose the values of ##\sigma## for each case? I am very confused about this part. :confused:

I tried to solve this without the complex inversion formula (just to see what the solution has to look like). I started out by expanding using partial fractions as:

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)} = \frac{1}{8(s+2)} + \frac{1}{8(s^2 +4)}$$

There is a pole at ##s=-2## due to the first term. The first term has the form ##1/(s-a),## so its transform can be written as ##\frac{1}{8} e^{-2t}.## However I am unable to proceed further because I don't see in Laplace transform tables what the transform of the form ##1/(s^2 +a)## looks like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Expand
[tex] \frac{1}{s^2+4} = \frac{1}{(s+2i)(s-2i)} [/tex]
in partial fractions. You will end up with a trigonometric function as your answer.

Likes roam
Ray Vickson said:
Expand
[tex] \frac{1}{s^2+4} = \frac{1}{(s+2i)(s-2i)} [/tex]
in partial fractions. You will end up with a trigonometric function as your answer.

Thank you very much for this hint. I expanded the fraction and got:

$$\frac{1}{8} \left( \frac{1}{s+2} + \frac{j}{4(s+2j)} - \frac{j}{4(s-2j)} \right)$$

now that we reduced the expression into a sum of standard forms, the only transform applicable in this case is ##\frac{1}{s-a} \iff e^{at}.## Therefore we obtain

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{8} \left( e^{-2t} + \frac{j}{4} \left( e^{-2jt} + e^{2jt} \right) \right).$$

Is this correct? When you say you end up with a trigonometric function, do you mean that I should express the exponentials in the last equation as sines and cosines?

roam said:
Thank you very much for this hint. I expanded the fraction and got:

$$\frac{1}{8} \left( \frac{1}{s+2} + \frac{j}{4(s+2j)} - \frac{j}{4(s-2j)} \right)$$

now that we reduced the expression into a sum of standard forms, the only transform applicable in this case is ##\frac{1}{s-a} \iff e^{at}.## Therefore we obtain

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{8} \left( e^{-2t} + \frac{j}{4} \left( e^{-2jt} + e^{2jt} \right) \right).$$

Is this correct? When you say you end up with a trigonometric function, do you mean that I should express the exponentials in the last equation as sines and cosines?

Why don't you try it for yourself, to see what you get?

Ray Vickson said:
Why don't you try it for yourself, to see what you get?

I already have. I was asking you to clarify what you meant by "ending up with a trigonometric function as your answer".

roam said:
I already have. I was asking you to clarify what you meant by "ending up with a trigonometric function as your answer".

I was talking about the part ##1/(s^2+4)## that you were having trouble with; not the entire expression.

What I meant is exactly what I said: that the final answer (to that part) will involve the trigonometric functions ##\sin## and/or ##\cos##. The thing you start with, ##1/(s^2+4)## is real, so the answer ##f(t)## that you end up with should be real as well.

Likes roam

Related to How Do You Select Sigma for Different Regions in Inverse Laplace Transforms?

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a given function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it back into the time domain.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace Transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is calculated using a formula or a table of standard transforms. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function.

3. What is the purpose of the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is used in engineering and science to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the time domain.

4. What type of functions can be transformed using the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Inverse Laplace Transform?

Yes, the Inverse Laplace Transform may not exist for certain functions. In addition, it may be difficult to calculate for complex functions or functions with multiple solutions.