Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System

Then use the inverse Laplace transforms you were given to get x(t).In summary, to find an expression for x(t) given a transfer function in the Laplace domain, you can divide the transfer function by m2 to obtain omega^2, then bring F over to the left hand side as a sine function (omega/s^2+omega^2). Next, use partial fraction decomposition and the given inverse Laplace transforms to find the constants and ultimately get x(t).
happycamper

Homework Statement

Given a transfer function in the Laplace Domain

Detemine an expression for x(t), given f(t) is a sinusodial input with frequency omega = root(k2/m2) and amplitude of 1 N (initial conditions equal 0)

Homework Equations

[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1/F=(m_2&space;s^2+k_2)/(m_1&space;m_2&space;s^4+k_2&space;(m_1+m_2)s^2&space;)[/URL]

Inverse laplace 1/s^2 = t.u(t)
Inverse laplace (omega/s^2+omega^2) = sin(omega.t) . u(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the transfer function by m2 to obtain omega^2. I then brought the F over to the LHS as a sin function in the laplace domain (omega/s^2+omega^2). I have obtained the following equation

[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1=(1/s^2)&space;.w/((s^2&space;m_1+w^2&space;((m_1+m_2)/m_2&space;))[/URL]What is the next step? I am given inverse laplace transforms for 1/s^2 and omega/s^2+omega^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
happycamper said:
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1/F=(m_2&space;s^2+k_2)/(m_1&space;m_2&space;s^4+k_2&space;(m_1+m_2)s^2&space;)[/URL]

Inverse laplace 1/s^2 = t.u(t)
Inverse laplace (omega/s^2+omega^2) = sin(omega.t) . u(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the transfer function by m2 to obtain omega^2. I then brought the F over to the LHS as a sin function in the laplace domain (omega/s^2+omega^2). I have obtained the following equation

[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1=(1/s^2)&space;.w/((s^2&space;m_1+w^2&space;((m_1+m_2)/m_2&space;))[/URL]What is the next step? I am given inverse laplace transforms for 1/s^2 and omega/s^2+omega^2

First, I think you have a small error in your equation. I get

[tex]X_1(s)=\frac{\omega}{s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2]}[/tex]

since [itex]m_1m_2s^4+(m_1+m_2)k_2s^2=m_2s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2][/itex]

Second, use partial fraction decomposition. Say[tex]\frac{\omega}{s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2]}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s^2}+\frac{Cs+D}{m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2}[/tex]

and find the constants [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System

1. What is the Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System?

The Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System is a mathematical technique used to determine the behavior of a mass-spring system over time. It involves finding the original function from its Laplace transform, which is a tool used to simplify differential equations.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System calculated?

The Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System is calculated by using the partial fraction decomposition method, which involves breaking down the Laplace transform into simpler fractions and then using inverse Laplace transform tables to find the original function.

3. What are the applications of Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System?

The Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System has various applications in engineering and physics, particularly in analyzing the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems. It is also used in control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

4. What are the limitations of using Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System?

One limitation of using Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System is that it can only be applied to linear systems, where the input and output are directly proportional. It also requires a high level of mathematical knowledge and can be time-consuming for complex systems.

5. Are there any alternative methods for analyzing Mass-Spring Systems?

Yes, there are alternative methods for analyzing Mass-Spring Systems, such as using differential equations, transfer functions, and state-space representations. These methods may be more suitable for non-linear systems or when the Laplace transform is not applicable.