Invariance of length in classical mechanics?

In summary: Sorry, this seems intuitively obvious to me, but it's tough to put into words. :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses the invariance of length in Galilean relativistic classical mechanics. It presents a scenario where a man throws a coin from the back of a moving train to the front, and questions whether the observers on the train and on the ground will agree on the length of the train. The expert explains that in classical mechanics, length is strictly invariant and remains so unless using relativistic Lorentz transformations. The conversation also discusses the concept of static length and
loom91
Recently a question asked by sparsh stimulated my gray matter regarding the invariance of lengths in galilean relativistic classical mechanics. First I state the question.

A man X is sitting at the rear end of a long compartment of a train running at constant horizontal velocity with respect to a ground observer Z. X tosses a coin to a person Y sitting at the front end of the compartment. The trajectory of the ball, as seen by Y and Z, will have : 1) Equal vertical and horizontal ranges OR 2) equal vertical ranges but different horizontal ranges OR 3) Different vertical and horizontal ranges.

Obviously the problem can be solved with a simple galilean transformation. However, consider that the length traveled by the coin as seen by Y is simply the distance between X and Y in the train's reference frame, that is the compartment's length. But when seen Z the point where X released the coin is much further from the point where Y catches it than the length of the compartment.

This seems to indicate that the two inertial observers will not be able to agree on a length measurement. But I was under the impression that in classical mechanics length was strictly invariant and stayed so unless you replaced galilean transformations with relativistic Lorentz ones, when the ability to rotate lengths in an extra dimension meant that spacetime intervals rather than spatial lengths were invariant.

What am I missing here. Can you help me out of this dilemma? Thank you.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
Static lengths are invariant. Let's say the train is moving at speed v in the positive x-direction wrt the stationary observer Z. When the stationary observer makes the final observation of the landing of the coin, he would've observed the start (trailing end) of the train compartment having moved vt (where v is the speed of the train and t is the time taken for the coin to land). The leading end of the train compartment is at L + vt (where L is the length of the compartment from the POV of those inside it). Hence the stationary observer would also observe a train length of (L + vt) - vt = L. The static length remains invariant.

Of course, the stationary observer would observe the coin to have traveled a horiz. length of L + vt before it lands. This would disagree with the observation of those onboard the train (who would only have observed a horiz. range of L). There's no reason why these measurements should agree. Since the vertical component of travel is unaffected, the stat. observer would see the coin taking a much "flatter" and longer parabolic arc. Indeed, the stationary observer *has* to observe a longer range because from his POV, the coin has a horiz. component of velocity that's higher by v than the horiz. velocity of the coin observed from within the train, but the same initial vertical velocity and the same vertical acceleration (-g).

Last edited:
So what types of length have to be invariant and what types do not in classcial mechanics? How would you define static length?

loom91 said:
So what types of length have to be invariant and what types do not in classcial mechanics? How would you define static length?
a length measurement (I personally would not even call this a static length measurement, which is not standard terminology...we are talking about length measurements, period) corresponds to measuring the distance between two points *at a fixed time in your frame* .
Take any two objects (or two points) and measure the distance between them (using local observers if you want) at a fixed time in your frame. Now I will measure the distance between these two objects at the same time in my frame.

In Galilean physics, our results will agree. And they will agree with anyone else moving at any velocity with respect to us. (and of course, we all agree on the concept of simultaneity).

If someone throws a basebal to someone else in a train, of course the distance traveled by the baseball will be different as measured in different frames (both in SR and in Galilean physics) but that is not a length measurement.

(and of course the baseball will travel at different velocities in different frames, in both theories. But in Galilean physiscs, the time calculated using distance traveled over speed will give teh same result in all frames)

nrqed said:
a length measurement (I personally would not even call this a static length measurement, which is not standard terminology...we are talking about length measurements, period) corresponds to measuring the distance between two points *at a fixed time in your frame* .
Take any two objects (or two points) and measure the distance between them (using local observers if you want) at a fixed time in your frame. Now I will measure the distance between these two objects at the same time in my frame.

In Galilean physics, our results will agree. And they will agree with anyone else moving at any velocity with respect to us. (and of course, we all agree on the concept of simultaneity).

If someone throws a basebal to someone else in a train, of course the distance traveled by the baseball will be different as measured in different frames (both in SR and in Galilean physics) but that is not a length measurement.

(and of course the baseball will travel at different velocities in different frames, in both theories. But in Galilean physiscs, the time calculated using distance traveled over speed will give teh same result in all frames)

Agreed, "static length" is my own way of seeing it, it is not standard terminology. I meant the same thing by it - it has to be a fixed "snapshot" in time of distance between two points, not a length "dragged out" over a time interval. Sorry, this seems intuitively obvious to me, but it's tough to put into words. :smile:

Curious3141 said:
Agreed, "static length" is my own way of seeing it, it is not standard terminology. I meant the same thing by it - it has to be a fixed "snapshot" in time of distance between two points, not a length "dragged out" over a time interval. Sorry, this seems intuitively obvious to me, but it's tough to put into words. :smile:
Hey, Curious.
Don't apologize! I thought that your expression was very good. It conveyed the idea very well I just pointed out that it was not standard terminology just to make this clear to the OP so that he/she would not expect to find it in the literature.
You have a very nice way to put it...not a length ''dragged out in time''. That's a nice way to put it. I simply expressed it in more rigorous terms (measurements of two positions simulatenous in a given frame) because this can be generalized to special relativity where even ''static lengths'' are not absolute.

No need to apologize!

Best regards

Patrick

nrqed said:
Hey, Curious.
Don't apologize! I thought that your expression was very good. It conveyed the idea very well I just pointed out that it was not standard terminology just to make this clear to the OP so that he/she would not expect to find it in the literature.
You have a very nice way to put it...not a length ''dragged out in time''. That's a nice way to put it. I simply expressed it in more rigorous terms (measurements of two positions simulatenous in a given frame) because this can be generalized to special relativity where even ''static lengths'' are not absolute.

No need to apologize!

Best regards

Patrick

Thanks! :smile:

That's clear now, length have to measured keeping time constant to qualify for invariance. Thanks for the help. Incidentally, who is this OP you keep referring to?

loom91 said:
That's clear now, length have to measured keeping time constant to qualify for invariance. Thanks for the help. Incidentally, who is this OP you keep referring to?

Yeah, you got it. Both curious and nrqed explained it better than I ever could! I think I'll keep this thread for reference!:biggrin:

OP stands for "Original Poster" :smile:

~H

Related to Invariance of length in classical mechanics?

1. What is the concept of invariance of length in classical mechanics?

Invariance of length in classical mechanics refers to the fundamental principle that the length of an object does not change under certain conditions, specifically in a non-accelerating frame of reference. This means that the distance between two points in space remains constant regardless of the observer's perspective.

2. How is the invariance of length related to the concept of relativity?

The concept of invariance of length is closely related to the theory of relativity, specifically the principle of relativity which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Invariance of length is a consequence of this principle and is essential for maintaining consistency in the laws of physics.

3. What are some examples of situations where the invariance of length is applicable?

The invariance of length is applicable in many situations, such as when measuring the distance between two objects, calculating the speed of an object, or determining the position of an object in space. It is also essential for the development of technologies like GPS, which rely on precise measurements of distance.

4. Can the invariance of length be violated?

In classical mechanics, the invariance of length is considered to be an absolute principle and cannot be violated. However, in the theory of relativity, it is understood that the length of an object can appear to change when observed from different frames of reference due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. How does the concept of invariance of length impact our understanding of the physical world?

The principle of invariance of length is a crucial aspect of our understanding of the physical world. It allows us to accurately measure and describe the position and movement of objects in space, and is a fundamental principle that forms the basis of many theories and laws in classical mechanics.